Fluoxetine for 12 weeks. Feeling very low. Can anyone help...has anyone had the same experience?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i'm new here. I am 48, have PCOS, depression and anxiety and lost my Mum a year ago (have now lost both my Mum and Dad...I have a very supportive husband and daughter.....but its not helping me right now for some reason. I've been on Fluoxetine for 12 weeks now (started on 20mg, upped to 40mg by dr 3 weeks ago now) and I feel like i'm feeling worse than ever, periods constantly and all over the place with cycles and heavy bleeding...dr thinks prob perimenopause-had abdominal scan last week and all seems fine. I initially was on Zoplicone alongside the Fluoxetine for a few weeks...and there were a few days where I felt cocooned and positive and happy and very calm...but since stopping the Zoplicone (as I didn't want to stay on anything that could become addictive and dr said it could), i've gone hugely downhill. I am barely going out, in my pyjamas all day and just feeling awful...haven't cried for a few weeks...but its ALL I feel like doing at the moment. Something tells me to keep with it...mainly because i'm frightened of going on another AD and the fact that I am managing to sleep better than before...but the cons are currently outweighing the pro's right now. I have pain in my stomach from anxiety every day, feel very very low and am just not interested in anything at all. The med has also affected my sex drive, orgasm, my appetite....and I feel lost and so low.   I'm not seeing my dr until a few weeks from now as she's off on holiday. Has anyone had similar feeling or experience? I don't know what to do...whether to stick with the Fluoxetine and hope that things get better...or whether I need to be trying something else. I am so confused, I feel like I change my mind every second of the day. Mornings seems to feel slightly better...but by early afternoon I start to feel worse and worse and by night time, i'm really low and just want to sleep so another day is over.  I would really appreciate help, many thanks.x

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi There LJK68, you're not alone. When starting an upper dose symptoms do come from what I have gone through and read on here. You've had a tough time and I know it's easier said than done, but don't be hard on yourself. It's good that you have a supportive Husband and Daughter. I found it helps to write how you feel also. Reading also helps with music playing in the background. I've been on Fluoxtine for 9 weeks and it's my 13th day on 40 mg. I've had fluoxetine in the past and it has worked for me, especially when going through really tough times. Give it some time, one day at a time. God bless

• Posted

Thanks so much for that, it really does make a difference when someone understands and has been through this also.

I appreciate your help very much.

• Posted

Hi there,

I just wondered how you were doing, as you have really helped me over the last few days. I am on day 23 of the increased dose of 40mg and the last 2 days have been the best i've had so far.. its giving me some light at the end of the tunnel...and like you i've been out walking the dogs and just really enjoying it and taking deep breaths of fresh air and trying not to feel anxious at times I normally would, just went out a run in the car last night with hubby and it definitely helped and made a difference. I just wanted to thank you again for helping me and I hope that you are continuing to feel better as well x

• Posted

Hang in there!!! It takes a little while for your higher dose to kick in. Try a little meditation, listen to some soft music (Sam smith), go for a massage, have a coffee with a girlfriend and blurt it all out, take a little walk in the sun, try having a little sleep during the day to recharge you. I found this was my key to coping, it let my mind rest and I had more energy afterwards. If push comes to shove go and see another GP before your doctor come back. I agree with the reply from Hope... Write your feelings down it does help a great deal. You need to look after yourself. Jump out of your pjs Hun, it will help to start your day, I know it's hard, I have been there too.

Take care, E.

• Posted

Thank you, just knowing someone has been there helps a great deal...and I will follow your advice. I feel like such a burden sometimes and I just keep hoping things will get better but I know i've got to try and help myself alongside the medication, its just so hard right now, but I will try. I cannot say thank you enough for helping me.

• Posted

It's definitely not easy to get through your day feeing like this. I would get myself up everyday and change out of my pjs, shower and put some make up on to feel alive and ready for the day. If i caught myself looking awful it made me feel worse so that's what I'd do to get myself motivated. Good luck, you'll be fine smile

• Posted

Thank you. I will do that today. I know exactly what you mean, I look at myself in the mirror and it absolutely makes me feel worse.. thanks so much for your words, it really does help me. x
  • Posted

How are you doing now? xx
    • Posted

Hi there

I'm doing a lot better thanks, how are you? x

• Posted

I'm doing alright smile still settling into a new dose and surprised at how much only a 5mg increase can knock me around. Are you feeling recovered now?

• Posted

I know, an increase in dose can knock you for six..

I wouldn't say recovered but i'm definitely feeling better than I was, just trying to keep going and staying as positive as I can be.

I hope you begin to feel better and that you feel the benefit soon x

• Posted

Hey guys,

How're you both doing? I hope things are getting better each day. Xx

• Posted

Hi, they are thanks so much-how are you doing?

I'm even considering moving to a new home after 11 years!....dunno whether that's good or bad...but we're thinking about it-hubby is concerned as he doesn't want a potential move to work against me in how i've been feeling better recently...who knows...we shall see x

• Posted

Hey Hun,

Seems like a big step for moving house. Just make sure it's something you really want.

How has everything been? I hope you're doing better. X

• Posted

Hi there,

It IS a big step, and i'm a bit overwhelmed right now...but our house is officially going up for sale tomorrow!...so we've been lead to believe it may go fast as there's nothing at all in size or price locally!...i've been speaking with estate agents, solicitors, mortgage advisor...barely been eating...OR sleeping, but I do kinda feel its the right thing to do as staying here would mean too much on repairs as the property is older.. and we'd love a fresh start in a newer property...its a lot to take on though...and before Xmas...but trying to keep calm and positive and to keep going hoping its for the best. Phew! Its crazy...I did NOT think i'd be in this position a few months ago...no way...

How have you been feeling? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.