Fluoxetine. Numbness. Please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. Im a 27 year old female, suspected have been suffering from depression since i was a teenager and only sought out treatment recently. I was prescribed generic fluoxetine by my GP and I'm currently on 40mg for 6 weeks. although it has stopped me from crying since i took them and i didnt experience a lot of side effects other than suppresed appetite, insomnia, and heightened anxiety, but the thing that concerns me is i feel numb and emotionless. Not a care in the world. Can't be bothered to do anything. Hopefully anyone with similar experience can provide some enlightenment. Is this a common side effects or maybe Fluoxetine is not the med for me? Thank you.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Please help. Anyone?
  • Posted

I took 20mg and it worked. One Doc told me 40 was too much for me. At the time I weighed about 135 and was 58.
  • Posted

HI I just thought I'd messaged you as I've been taking 20mg for around 8 weeks I too feel a numbness but it's not really a bad thing I was a very emotional person before the tablets but taking away the emotions stops me over thinking and helps me think clearly to deal with situations for the past few weeks I've been getting on with things without the blast of adrenaline that I used to run off, so I think all in all this is the way I'm supposed to work in due to go back to my go in the next week or two so il see if this is the way I'm supposed to function as like yourself my life has been stressful since my teens and I've been running on stress and adrenaline then hitting lows when I've been emotionally and physically drained I just accepted it to be the norm until I hit an all time low that I couldn't get myself out off goodluck x

• Posted

Thank you for all the responses. The emotional numbness cleared up after a few days. Apparently it can be one of the temporary side effects and will dissipate once the fluoxetine settles. After 6 weeks, i finally had one good day yesterday. Im hopeful that its going to get better. For those who's in the same path, hang in there. Good luck.

• Posted

I was just going to let you know that from everything I've read, yes! It's def a side effect. So glad it cleared up for you.

• Posted

I was just going to let you know that from everything I've read, yes! It's def a side effect. So glad it cleared up for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.