FLUOXETINE "the battle"

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello,

that's another day almost gone, not a bad day by any means but not great either, this ladder I'm climbing is seemingly endless and at times like now I despair a wee bit. sad some days I can be more positive and optimistic others am very negative and pessamistic. it's times like today that I find myself living in the past reminiscing and wishing I had done things differently, yes I do know you can't turn the clock back but does'nt stop my mind drifting off into distant carefree days, I wonder if there is an element of me avoiding the 21st century and its hectic 24\7 lifestyle? the world has changed so much in a relatively short time, technology has evolved quicker than I can comprehend, it's only this year, 2014, that I got my first ever laptop and introduced myself to the wonders of the internet, prior to that I was a cave dwelling luddite. time waits for no man is what they say, so possibly I will get so far and then fall by the wayside. perhaps I should try another avenue? write poetry? answers on a postcard please to David Mackay, blah blah blah smile

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear! Is someone feeling sorry for themselves? That's a good way to get depressed , if ever there was one! Same thoughts, moved on a few decades, were exactly what got me needing Fluox! Don't do it! Right here, right now should be your only concern. Can't  change the past, don't know what the future holds - which leavves today, this evening - now!!

What are you doing right now to cheer yourself, care for yourself, give yourself some TLC? That is what should concern you!

I'm not going to jump into your mire with you - I've only just climbed out of my own. See that ladder you're climbing? That's the way up and out - keep climbing, no matter how steep and long it is! Eventually, you'll get through thhe clouds and into the sunshine - if you keep climbing.

How far on are you with Fluox? About two months if memory serves - so I reckon the sunshine is only a few rungs up from where you are right now. Why not climb them and see?

• Posted

hi carl, yes I'm on week 7 and counting. it is easier said than done not reliving the past, I know because I do make an effort believe it or not! today for instance I drove roughly 60 miles and did a bit of whale watching of all things, no luck sadly. I'm not sure if I'm feeling sorry for myself as you stated, quite frustrated I would say having got so far and now hit a brick wall as far as progress is concerned. 

I'm not giving up by any means, life in the old dog yet!!

• Posted

here's a virtual hug, you sound like you need one.

maybe talk to you GP, maybe you need higer dose, maybe you will just ride this out, i dont have the answers, maybe contact MIND , that could help with this blip.

as for not being very technical, pfffft, im the worst. i can send an email, and do my shopping, and thats it, my kids even set my phone up, as i couldnt even switch it on!! and i have to say, i dont care, i can do the basics, like shopping!

is it change thats causing you grief, looking back into your past, worrying about keeping up? like David said, right here, right now, focus on that, easier said than done i hear you cry!!

i know, but at the moment its something that can help, good luck today, i hope it has some smilie parts in!

xx

• Posted

sorry, that should say follow Carls advice, lol, it was very early when i posted!
  • Posted

I'm so up and down too I need pulling out of my mind all the time if that makes sense. I get deeper and deeper into nothingness then the crying and I cant fight this anymore kicks in. I thought after 6wks on fluoxetine I'd b nearly myself but its a rollercoaster. The spacyness we talk of I think its the anxiety and depression numbing us as I dnt have it if fully destracted . keep climbing out the dark. 
  • Posted

Hi david

Sympathise totally as after some really good days ive been battling with tears that ive really struggled to stop when really I should be rejoicing at being rid of lots of awful physical side effects.like you,  Im not intentionally feeling sorry for myself just overrun with emotions. No rhyme or reason to it is there??? So yes, hugs from me too.

Carls right, the past needs boxing off - its now and the future we need to concentrate on. I guess its maybe something you need to work through in time tho. 

Whale watching sounds like a great distraction - good for you! Shame the whales didn't join in! :-) I went to pics which gave me something to smile at.

As for technology I cant even get a smiley face in my posts  so you're doing better than me or maybe  its just my phone..... haha :-)

Hopefully its a wk7 hill that we just need to climb, like you im not giving up not by any means- the battle goes on! Hope today is better for you, keep us updated n take care

All the best

Vix

• Posted

More hope in knowing we have all been on fluoxetine a few weeks and in the same boat. I seem to remember to first time on sertraline been like a fix. This defiantly is not!!! I'd rather try a new med then up to 40mg. I'm made up with cold and having a section in 2weeks and feel nothing like me '( feel disconnected in nothingness not sure if that's anxiety or depression but it makes me very very emotional. I hope we all feel better very soon I really do feel for everyone x 
    • Posted

Hi Y'all

It seems to me that the title of the thread sets the tone and then folk have joined the mind-set. Please stop battling everyone! You can't battle it without making yet more adrenaline and thus worsening your symptoms. You need to be calm! Being calm shuts doen the adrenaline pump and you feel better. How do you get calm? By accepting whatever is happening to you I feel bad because of this or that, I cry a lot, whatever - accept it - let it wash over you, whoosh, and it will pass and be gone. Stay calm. Accept it. If you fight it, you are hanging on to it and keeping the misery close to you.  Instead, be calm and let it wash over you and pass. 'Aceptance' must be your watch word.

I hate to read that you are all still in pain several weeks into Fluox, it grieves me. You have to calm your adrenaline pump! Calmness. Distraction. Pamper yourself, lovingly. In its own good time, with your help or with your hindrance, it will work and you will see the light again. Help it and get into the light the sooner. Be calm. Accept.

• Posted

stay calm? easier said than done Carl. everybodys circumstances and problems are different on here so we cant all follow your instructions to the letter. this site is a good means of relieving some mental pressures and indeed negative thoughts so it's wrong to criticise those that use it as such I think. it's great that you have such a positive outlook on things but please remember we are all different, thankyou smile
    • Posted

I try resting but my mind goes off its like I'm trapped in my head and can't get out. I'll loosing hope in if the fluoxetine is helping. Seems a waist of six weeks. I try doing stuff but I end up wanting to lay down as the world looks like I'm looking through my glass box. I don't feel sorry for myself as such I'm peed off and want me back 
    • Posted

Hi carl

Its great you're so positive and I respect what you're saying about acceptance. Most of the time I try to accept whats happening have done for over four months now and acceptance has seen me through lots of thw physical side effects. 

However, although I can accept that I want to cry all day due to this illness I also have to battle against the urge to cry so that I and those around me can function but sometimes it does overwhelm me.

So yes we need to accept and look forward . However there may be personal battles going on within that and for me a little understanding and empathy from others who are going through the same does help me a lot and seems to help others on here. Knowing that others "get" what youre going through helps me feel less alone. 

I hope sharing these feelings does not hinder anyones recovery, other peoples posts help me so thank you to those who do share. X

Looking forward to reaching that sunshine, onwards and upwards :-)

Take care all

Vix x

• Posted

You hit the nail on the head vix, by me reading the good and bad points, and the highs and the lows of people's moods,  I know what my daughter is going through  is normal with this medication, and it enables me to keep her calm,  and to accept the not so good times. 

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.