Fluoxetine to Citolpram

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've recently started my menopause and fluoxetine has stopped working I have took my first citalopram today and have to take flu everyday alternative day. I am absolutely terrified of having side effects which I had when I started taking fluoxetine 20 years ago which included disturbing visions (furniture looked like it was looking at me and food looked distorted I thought I was going mad) I also had body jerks and head fear, and the most horrific panic attacks. I kept telling go and was told to wait until meds started working. Which they did eventually after months. Has anyone else had such bad side effects. I'm so scared x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I did the swap 3/4 weeks ago, except I discontinued flu altogether for 4 days before starting citalopram. 

After 2/3 awful weeks of increased anxiety and panic attacks I seem to be settling down, I still have silly thoughts during the day but managing a bit better each day. 

I wish you all the best. X x

• Posted

Hi thank you for replying and I'm so pleased you are gradually starting to  feel better. It gives me hope xx

• Posted

Hi Jmoo123

Try not to get to involved about worrying about the side effects . I am now on week 13 of 20mg on Cit, I had terrible side effects and felt like giving up so many times . Increased anxiety, blurred and weird vision , body jerks , head zaps , nausea , ice pick headaches , insomnia, hot flushes I still get mild muscle twitching some times when I'm still and resting but I have to say I'm so happy I stuck with it !

I am now back at work after 6 weeks off ( new job so it was great that they supported me through this nightmare) still not 100% but so nearly there .

Keep with it , go for walks if you can , read , clean the house just keep busy . I contacted Mind and now have weekly one to one sessions , it's been great to talk and also great to read the support and motivation on this site , have a look at "anyone not had side effects on citalopran" and " success on citalopran " so much positivity it really helped me.

Good luck and be kind to your self 😁

Matt 

• Posted

Aww thank you, I'm pleased to hear you are feeling better. I hope I get through this without any side effects as I had them in the past and they lasted for months. I don't feel strong enough to go through that yet again. However the fluoxetine stopped working and that's why the dr has switched me to citalopram so I have no choice. How did you get in touch with MIND? I'm trying to plan things so that I've got help in place if I do get bad again. Thank you for replying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.