Fluoxetine week 4 horrible side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm new to posting so please bear with me.

I'm looking for some reassurance really. I've been on fluoxetine for 5 months, increased to 40mg 4 week and ago. Went through the side effects and this started easing off slowly. The last 4 days I've had extreme anxiety, intrusive thoughts and generally horrible symptoms. Never felt so hopeless before. I've been waking up having fun panic attacks and shaking with really bad stomach and difficult to it get back to sleep. Has anyone else had such bad reactions after feeling better? I'm terrified to go work tomorrow as I am so out of control of my own thoughts but I have to keep doing normal things. Will this pass or do I need to call a doctor?

Thanks I need advance!!! Really need some support as I'm struggling so much.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sabrina,

I'm sorry to hear that your having such a hard time with anxiety!

Although I've only been on fluoxetine 20mg for 6 months, I do know what your going through. You're not on your own with it at all. The best advice I can give you right now is to keep talking. Even if it's just on here.

Whatever symptoms you get today or tomorrow, just keep telling yourself it's just anxiety, nothing bad is going to happen. I promise you will be ok. Might be worth having a chat with a doctor tommorow as they can provide extra reassurance.

You can always talk to me and I'll reply when I can.

Take care.

Jade x

• Posted

Thank you so much Jade!

I'm just so frightened to do anything today as I had such a bad night I'm still shaky from the panic. This is far worse than before I started taking any medication. Did you go through worse before it got better? I was feeling so positive last week I don't why it's gotten so bad. Really considering coming off or trying another medication.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sabrina x

• Posted

Sabrina

Recovery on these type of meds often comes in waves, so you will feel up and down whilst you recover .... with them eventually easing.

Lots of people get foxed into thinking they've recovered and are then alarmed at the return of anxiety (blips).  This is perfectly normal.  Your body is still settling.  Some people panic and think their meds have stopped working and increase them .... they haven't, and it doesn't seem to matter what dose you're on you'll still go through this same up / down process.

Just let the blips come and go - they will eventually ease.

Scary intrusive thoughts are just a side effect of anxiety.  As the anxiety eases so too will the thoughts.  Anxiety alters our way of thinking, makes you tired, and then these thoughts stick to a tired mind.  They will eventually go and won't feel as important and scary as they are now.

Its a tough journey on these meds - but you will get there.

K x

• Posted

Hi K,

Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to really want to get off these now. The last 2 nights have been hell. I've been sorry terrified I've been sick in the middle of night during horrific panic attacks. I've never felt so bad. Now I'm terrified it will happen again tonight. Going to try to see a doctor tomorrow as I didn't have any of these side effects when I started the 20mg I just didn't feel it worked enough but now regret upping the dose. Just want to go back to a few month ago!!!

Sorry for the rant, I have to go to work tomorrow and am worried I won't cope well. I don't want this impacting my career as I've already suffered enough in my life from depression.

Thanks so much xx

• Posted

Maybe the higher dose doesn't suit you - don't write them off yet, maybe try and lower again?  Everyone suits different doses and difrerent types of SSRI's - each one tailored to suit each individual person.

It is worth trying to persevere a little longer, maybe on the lower dose first?  Yes feeling rough isn't helpful when you've work to go to ..... always best to let your employers know though as this is an illness just the same as any other xx.

Anyway, am sure your doctor will guide you.  If you do come off don't stop abruptly as they can make you feel quite ill.  Always best to wean off little by little over a long period.

Let us know how you get on at the doctors.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for the support. I saw a doctor yesterday and I'm being tapered off flu and changing into citalopram. Cut down to 20mg fluoxetine yesterday. Anyone's know when this will start leaving my system? I've been told to stay on 20mg for a week then cut to 10mg for a month but I'm tempted to switch as quick as possible - obviously depends on withdrawals.

Thanks so much xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.