Fluoxitine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have recently after some amount of stress been put on anti depressants at first it qas 20mg citalopram which made my anxiety sky rocket dr then put me on fluoxitine 20mg which i have been on for 16 days and i still am suffeeing crippling anxiety and low mood and sometimes strange thoughts i also have had trouble sleeping so am on a low dose sleeping pill i really want to know how much longer it will be til i see some improvement as wveryday is a struggle . Thanks in advance

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Lots of people here will tell you to stick with it, but I quit after a month. I had a few rough weeks stopping but now I feel much better. You have to decide if your depression is worse than what the meds are putting you through. For me, it wasn't. They only work for about 30% of the population. So now I just take Ativan when I need it and Zopiclone (a sleep aid but also works to stops anxiety) to sleep. I found out that tylenol stops anxiety too so I take that for arthritis and that helps. I also bought Lavender oil and rub that on my chest and inhale it at night from the palm of my hand a few deep breaths and I LOVE that stuff as I know it helps. You have to do what is best for you. Those meds just don't work for me and I'm like well, if Ativan helps me within half an hour, why do I need to take that med daily with the side effects. So, I was forced to manage my anxiety other ways and I really wish a pill a day would have helped me, but it didn't. Best, 

• Posted

Thanks catherine i am a bit concerned that if i stop it will have a adverse effect so i will stick with it and hopefully things will get better with a bit more time . Its tough that ypu take meds to combat anxiety and depression and in fact these at first heighten those feelings . Heres hoping for better days ahead thanks for your reply take care
  • Posted

There will be better days . It's very early days at the moment. Give it a chance . I had a terrible time too but I can see the improvements.

• Posted

Hi Pauline...Yes in the beginning your anxiety will seem to get worse which is very confusing.  It is your body adjusting to a new medication.  You will get better it is early days hang in there.  When you start a new medication you want it to start working right away but these meds take 6-8 wekks and  have side effects  there will be  hard days and good days. 
    • Posted

Thanks jan thats good to know i will hang in although days have been hard as iam still trying to work as well but knowing that they will have effect is reassuring thanks for your reply x
  • Posted

I was on citalpram also and up as high as 60mg. After having Interactions with my other med's, I was switched to fluoxetine. Been on it over a year now on 1/2 the dose prescribed, 20mg. I couldn't handle the 40mg and wanted to give the 20 a good amount of time. That was over a year ago. I'm not a fan of fluoxetine and plan to taper and get it out of my system hopefully this year. I'm trying some alternative natural ways. Magnesium deficiency I think for me. I've been alot better with it. Read up on that. SSRIs are a challenge to alot of people I've found and for some, good results. I did have good results with the citalpram for years with minimal side effects. The fluoxetine for me has been a tough one. Good place here to compare and hear others experiences.

• Posted

Hello i too was also on citalopram for a few years following post natal depression then came off for a year then when after the year the dr put me bk on citalopram the anxiety was doubled as a side effect of the citalopram which i had never wxperienced before so dr changed me to fluoxitine have been on these for 17 days and am still struggling but dint want to keep swapping meds so trying to weather the storm so to speak

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.