FMS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi i have not long been diagnosed with FMS, i am on so much medication i dont know if its a side effect of the medication or the FMS. i get annoyed that i no longer am able to do simple things and i worry i will be living the rest of my life in pain, the tierdness is unreal, pins and needles, aches and pains the list goes on, what i find hurtfull is the coments i get about nothing being wrong with me and its hard for my partner and children to understand whats wrong, they cant see it like a broken arm. if i have a god day and do somethin i then suffer for it for days after. im at a loss what to do. sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi debbie,i was diagnosed 3 yrs ago with fms,wen i was first told wot was rong with me i went in2 denial;carried on workin full time and eventually burnt myself out.I now am unable 2 work and my quality of life has bin reduced.My advice 2 u is accept u hav a disability and ignore wot the outside world thinks.Take things one day at a time,if ur tired go 2 sleep,if ur in pain don't do the housework,u need 2 work out ur limits and stik 2 them.There r sum fantastic web sites bout fms that would help ur husband undastand the condition,also try readin 'THE FIBROMYALGIA RELIEF HANDBOOK'by Chet Cunningham.

If want 2 ask me anything feel fre :D

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I have had FMS for 17 years. I understand your frustration that your partner ,children , friends and everyone in the whole wide world do not understand but I do. The good news is it is not going to kill us and you will have good days , just think of the bad ones as rainy days . On the days the sun shines enjoy and who knows there might be a cure around the corner. Drink plenty of water, keep mobile, take 5ml amitriptyline at night to help you sleep without turning into a zombie and know you are not alone

ladybird

• Posted

[color=darkred:5fb40b3123][/color:5fb40b3123] sad hi i have just been told i have fms yesterday i have been in pain for 3 years the doctor in hosptial said it will go away is that ture i can,t get out of bed in the mornings i am in pain every day i get pins and needles my back is killing me my neck i can,t move at times is this going to get better as i can,t stay a wake i am so tried can you get DLA for this as i know poeple that do please let me know as i am still working but it is killing me to do any thing
  • Posted

Hello, I was diagnosed 2 and a half years ago although I was diagnosed with MS in my early 20's.

My GP and consultant have been great. I am fortunate to live near to The Royal Mineral Hospital in Bath and their Pain Clinic taught me alot in a short space of time!

I have had to learn to pace my activity, even its a few minutes pottering and half an hour sitting,resting.

I find that the tiredness is the worst, when I am tired I feel more pain and am less able to cope with it, and when I am in chronic pain its more tiring.. a viscious circle!

However I am pleased to say that I am managing it a lot better than I was.

I have 10 mg. amitryptiline at night. If the flair up is particually bad then I do have tramodol and solpadol and NSAIDS, The management of these drugs has been very much left up to me now after intitial close monitoring and I endeavour to avoid the painkillers if I can. However on bad days when I do have something planned I do take painkillers if necessary.

I found pacing all things that I do to be a good way of dealing with FM.

I often have bad nights but then try to rest the following day. If I 'push' myself it does compound problems and often leaves me wrecked for several days.

I live with this problem and try not to let it rule my life.

And all in all I am a happy bunny! I think accepting I have the condition and changing my way of life, although it wasnt easy, has given me a good quality of life and am thankful it is not life threatening.

I also find that hydrotherapy is very beneficial.

I have been fortunate that my friends and family accept my condition and have been tremendously supportive. Many have read appropriate literature and close family have discussed the condition with the doctor.

Enjoy the good days :D

All the best

Deedee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.