Following a High Carb Low Fat/Keto way of eating with IBD and IBS - anyone else on here done this?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi! I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 1984, in my early twenties. Since then I've been on sulfasalzine - my current ' maintenance ' dose is three tabs of 500mg three times a day (after food). A year ago I got really depressed about how it was affecting my life (don't go on holiday anymore because long car journeys got to be a nightmare for me - fellow IBD sufferers will know what i mean! It's not just the hassle of a sudden and urgent need for the loo miles from anywhere, or in the fast lane of the motorway miles from a service station, but the constant anxiety that I would have an ' accident ' ) and my IBD nurse recommended me to a dietician who put me on a FODMAP exclusion diet, which over several months allowed me to identify my worst trigger foods and avoid them. A year on my situation in that regard is much improved , although I still struggle with travel anxiety. I've had some CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy for that , which does help). Now I am 30 kilos over my ideal/healthy weight and have embarked on a LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) Keto way of eating with the aid of 'Doctor Diet' . So far so good, although it IS hard to reconcile the Keto diet with avoiding high FODMAP foods.

I wonder if there are other IBD/IBS sufferers here who are also on (or perhaps contemplating) a Keto or LCHF way of eating (they prefer not to call it a 'diet' apparently) ? Perhaps we can support each other? I am a member of the DD Facebook group which has been quite helpful, but there are not very many IBD/IBS sufferers on there and I sense that most people on the group would get pretty bored if we were to flood the page with our discussions... all the post are moderated. (which is good in one way, but perhaps not in others...)

Well, I'll leave this comment here and will hope to hear from someone who is in the same boat.... Thanks for reading!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.