Food for thought?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Food vs depression

So if chemicals assist depression, what about chemicals in major foods that cause depression? example Caffeine causes anxiety.

Is this why people are going round saying they don't know why they are so depressed.. or that depression comes and goes?

Maybe they changed food brands and the second brand uses a preservative that affects the depression.

From my eating experience, I eat a lot of mince meat, but then change to chicken for a while.. The mince meat lasts up to a week in the fridge, which I'm sure it shouldn't.

I haven't studied it in any way, but what if?

- a day before the meatworks, they inject cattle with God knows what including preservatives, and it spreads to the meat, then I get that each day.

When I 'change diet' to chicken for a while,

- I either get the chicken preservatives which cause worse symptoms, OR I go on withdrawl symptoms from the chemicals in the meat?

BTW I've just switched from straight Coke to supermarket brand Cola. Am a bit more steady with the emotions.

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

I do not think that you will be alone by any means of thinking along these lines. The Scientific community would prefer that your analysis were conducted using scientific methods. The complexity of such an approach would render the exercise impossible. Impossible at least for practical purposes. However, their objection is not entirely sustainable. Much of medicine is conducted by describing symptom and applying chemicals to ameliorate those symptoms. A trial and error technique guided by skill, training, observation, experience, insight and guesswork. 

You are using a similar process. I believe that many suffering depressive symptoms will be atle to make similar observations. We might initially be rather surprised at the variety of ailments the observers suffer. We might find that a vast number of factors are claimed to affect their symptoms for good and for ill. We might begin to suspect that something is seriously wrong with the air we breath, the food we eat and the water we drink and bathe in.

We might wonder if this topic is of so wide an interest that it should be moved to the Chatroom where for example sufferers from CFS, ME, MS, Friobomyalgia, and cancers to name but a few that have come readily to my mind, might add their relevant and important comments to the debate you have introduced.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

in mental hospitals if you order a pizza they lace it with antagonists and guess how you feel?  sick and tired?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Isn't it enough that they have serious psycological problems. I presume it is a cheep an easy aid to patient control. 

The he wider implications are not lost on me at all.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I understand what you are saying froggy but I don't know what the answer is.  Maybe everything in moderation?   Too much caffeine eg can make you very anxious but a small amount can be a much needed stimulant.  

Have you noticed 'They'  have gone very quiet about GM foods?   I wonder how much of it we are actually eating right now?   x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up