Food for Thought

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Guys,Girls,

Just wanted to share some tips with you they may or may not work however I think sleeping tips will help!

To assist insomnia try startiung a sleep ritual, going to bed at a consistent time, no tv before bed or scary movies things that will stimulate the mind hot baths/showers try reading a book to unwind, most of all relax as much as you can mentally and physically put up a sign in your room with a positive message that you see before going off to sleep relax you will sleep smiley face. The least you worry the more likely you will drop off to sleep!!

One thing I learnt the hard way about anxiety was the racing thoughts I would have and trying to understand what they mean or how to control them...... well the brain is as much your friend as it is your enemy, DONT analyse every thought its wasted energy. easy to say I know but give that a try ?

some people try writing down the thoughts the issues they have with panic attacks and put them aside until they are relaxed and less likely to be worried by them dedicate a day to read through the thoughts? I found for me being the man in the mirror worked looking back at myself and saying 'Hey man what are you worried about nothing is happening its just your brain' Since the citalopram I have had every side effect but remained positive as the long game is recovery fixing the problem with meds.

For depression focus on being active keep yourself positively busy, make sure you do plenty of fun enjoyable activities! work only to live not live to work ! Force yourself to smile several times a day silly you may think but it has a physiological effect on one self.

When you have a down day remeber tomorrow will be better its temporary! I hope some oif these may help you great people your all very brave I feel your pain hang in there smile 

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey stevo,

Found your tips and am going to use them too,really helpful information and very well thought tips, basic and a certain way forward I fell, thanks for you ideas

Dealing with both anxiety and depression at the moment, finding it very difficult to switch my mind off even when in a light sleep, switching from one thought to another, worrying about things that aren't even apart of my life,

Keep posting your , and thanks for you focus too !!

• Posted

Glad to help Nick!! Good luck champion you'll be fine in no time stay positive, anxiety is a bitch but remember it cant beat you you're too strong !! the tips worked for me and many others and I'm sure you will find your little traits that work for you wink those thoughst just remember what I said they dont mean anything! keep us posted on how things are going today is going to be a great day! 
  • Posted

Thanks Stevo, great advice and a nice positive message! There have been a lot of conversations today about difficulty sleeping so I'm sure the tips will be really helpful. Hope everyone gets a good night tonight x
    • Posted

Its my pleasure ! another thing I didnt think of is exercise daily I do between 30-40minutes a day which helps with sleep as it effects the cortisol stress hormone in our body and helps manage it, which  in turn relaxes you and helps with sleep. Make a exericse plan to help your anxiety/depression rather than your health thats my excuse smile
  • Posted

Right on! Stevo,

One suggestion to add to your most excellent advice there, if you don't mind? That would be CHEESE Gromit, no CHEESE before bed!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Morning Melmo30,

Nope! After my Mum (first) and then Dad died I felt quite alone with Family in Cymru, Kansas and some locally that don't really care. I knew cheese, if eaten too late in the evening (should never have it as a supper snack) can give you quite vivid dreams or, as it turned out, in my case, good ones.

I would think about my parents in the evening and then eat cheese, it worked for me! It is not something I do now as, even though I still totally love them, my grieving has moved on. Anyway, I have had some horrendously vivid multiple dreams with dear old Cita so, enough is enough for a while.

Regards,

David

• Posted

I think urban myths are brought about by a kind of misunderstanding of the facts by contemporary society within each generation. Whereas "old wives tales" (as some one else called them) are based on fact! I have kept in mind all my Mum's, Mamgu's (Grandmother) and Aunts little sayings and tips. I may be biased coming from a strong matriarcal based Family, but they do seem to work!

David

• Posted

By all means David I dont know everything I'm sure the great folks on the group have some great pointers also wink feel free to jump in team strength in numbers!
    • Posted

Normal to feel heart break of the lose of both parents David RIP and comiserations my friend that must be very hard! In turn it must makes you a very strong person wink 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.