Foot at an angle?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

This may sound like a weird question but had THR just 7 days ago and my foot seems to be walking at an angle. When i walk with the crutches my foot points to right instead of straight on.

One of the physios in the hospital said i needed to straighten my leg when i walk.

My own physio hadn't noticed it but when she saw me walk she said i was indeed turning my foot to the right, she said it was probably coming from when the tightened my muscle a little too tight when closing up.

Trying to walk straight when i think about it but my leg is still very swollen so wondering will this correct itself.

Anyone else experience this

Mary

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

yes in my experience been thru 3 thr, the ankle will get better.7 days is very early in the healing journey. important to wear good shoes with arch support that has good ankle support. it all takes time for all the muscles to regain strength and control from the hip down and knees too. address this with your dr as physical therapy could also address the ankle . good luck.

• Posted

I would expect as your muscles recover that your foot direction should also improve but do use both crutches until such time that you are walking strongly. and with a good gait. There really is no benefit in just using one crutch. Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Mary. Yes I did for about a week. Corrected itself with no help from me and now walking normally. Nine weeks last Saturday and manage to walk straight for 2 miles a day.

Give healing time...

Sure

• Posted

Hello Mary,

I had a THR left hip last April, when I restarted pilates last October I noticed my left foot automatically points to the left. I am forcing it to point correctly and hope the muscle will eventually strengthen, if not it is not a big deal for me as I have no pain when I walk and exercise.

• Posted

Physio is wrong ... Totally normal for a week out ... even longer ... it's not your foot is turned out ... it's that your operated leg can't move or hold the foot as it will in a while. When you hip gets stronger ... this will take care of itself.

Absolutely less than zero/totally nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for all your replies, this has put my mind at ease. It was one little comment from a physio and it had me paranoid, but i will give it time as my leg is still very swollen so i am not rushing it.Still doing all my exercises and getting out for longer walks everyday.

Thanks again

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.