Foot twitching and horrible pain when driving

Posted , 9 users are following.

Surgery May 23, left foot.  I don't know what it was called, but the bones broken, two titanium screws inserted, bone removed.  No weight bearing for 6 weeks, I have a boot to wear when out and about.  Today was a busy day out, running errands with help but with crutches, exhausting.  My foot seems to twitch involuntarily and the pain, even for driving 15 minutes, is sharp and stabbing, my foot feels enormous and as if it is going to explode.  Is this all normal?  It is very painful.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Cecil, you shouldn't be driving!....You can do more damage having the foot down, and secondly, you are a danger to others on the road if something happens to that foot and you can't handle the foot pedals!! 
  • Posted

My goodness no wonder you have pain, you should be resting, definitely dangerous to drive for you and other road users not to mention how painf that must be
  • Posted

When does driving start to feel halfway ok?  The pain now is so unbearable, I want to pull over crying!  It is the worst feeling and and the pressure and swelling make every inch of movement unbearable,  I have never felt this kind of pain!!
    • Posted

I was told no driving for first six weeks, you may find that your car insurance is invalid ! Just take it easy .

Louise

• Posted

All normal,  I had same op now 5 weeks post op . Perhaps you could rest a bit more sounds like you are busy.  Have a day with foot elevated , the more you rest up the quicker it will heal . Each week it will hurt less and the time you spend with foot down comfortably will increase. 

All the best,

Louise

• Posted

Cecil. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are so foolish. Now, I'm not renowned for being tactful and quite honestly, I think the way you are conducting your lifestyle following your surgery borders on the idiotic. I have read comments from other people who all tell you that you need to rest that foot above groin level more or less the whole time for the first 2 weeks. Failure to do this will result in severe pain and swelling and you'll delay the overall healing process  by many, many months. And do you know what? You'll have nobody but yourself to blame. As for the driving you DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT BE DOING IT. And, when you do resme you MUST inform your motor insurer that you have had foot surgery and explain to them what the surgery was for.

In the meantime, you'd be well advised to log onto the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital website and read their  information document 'A Patient's Guide to Bunions (Hallux Valgus) and Lesser Toe Deformitie'.

I cannot believe that you have undergone your surgery without any instruction and/or information from either your consultant surgeon and GP about what to expect following the surgery.

I really can't.

So, get evryone around you ( as I'm sure that you must have family and friends) to assist you with your day-to-day tasks and shopping. Get plenty or reading material and have your 'phone next to you and for God's sake stay off your feet.

I had my surgery for bunion and hammertoe correction n 27 November 2013 and I didn't start driving until mid February and even then, I was very nervous and my foot hurt if I was driving for more than a copule of miles to begin with.

Myconsultant told me prior to having the surgery that the rcovery period is far greater for bunion surgery than for knee and hip replacement surgery and it WILL take many, many months before your foot recovers.

Gillian

• Posted

Cecil, I can only wholeheartedly agree with everything other people,especially Gillian has said. I had the same op on the same day as you and am still hardly weight bearing and still elevating  a lot. I have no pain and no swelling so it really is worth the trouble and boredom in the long run. What a pity you were not given such advice initially, but take it now and  hopefully the pain will recede. This op is much bigger than you realise. Good Luck and Good Healing.
  • Posted

Cecil , I agree with everyone else , I have has same op as you , I had mine done on 26th march and I have only just started driving , but it's still sore , there is no way I could go back to my driving delivery job even now as I still get pain , I went to visit my sons grave yesterday which is a 15 min drive away , I got back and walked the dog for a while , by the time I got home my foot had swollen so take on board what we are all saying , it takes time 
  • Posted

Thank you all.  I know that even though my dr said OK to drive, he did not mean go all about town and I realize that I overdid it yesterday.  Since yesterday, I have this horrible sensation of my foot twitching and as if it's moving inside.  Like there is a tiny worm in there're squirming around, like flinching and moving in the big toe.  The movement is involuntary, but very uncomfortable.  
    • Posted

Hi Cecil,

I completely agree with all the comments made so far.  I'm week 3 after my op. the first two weeks I was advised to keep my feet elevated all the time apart from going to the bathroom.

I was also advised to regularly use ice to reduce swelling.  So week 3 advice was to increase walking with crutches little and often but otherwise keep feet elevated whenever sitting down and keep using ice packs.  I had a similar twitching in my toes in week one and spoke to the Physiotherpist over the phone and they advised that it may be my feet getting used to the pins so to help calm this down I was advised to stroke my feet and toes every day as this may desensitise them and give them the message that everything is ok.  This may sound a bit mystical but it worked.  I've also been taking arnica for swelling and was told to take pain killers regularly for the first 2 and a bit weeks.

I'm seeing my consultant again at week 6 post op and he advised he would assess my suitability for driving then.

Take it easy, slow down and look after your feet as I'm sure this will help with recovery.

Mel

• Posted

Hope you feel better soon, rest, elevate and ice, oh and lots of chocolate and ice cream too. Feel free to vent off your feelings on this forum anytime. We all do
  • Posted

Joan, yes to the ice cream!

Mel:  I love your mystical advice,  I just tried it and it instantly felt better.  The pain is so foreign and consistent I am sure anything soothing helps the body.  Thank you, will keep this up.

i inquired about this surgery 10 yrs ago and was advised to wait and I did, until the shoes stopped fitting and I was looking at buying 2 different shoe sizes to accommodate the bunion.  

So here we are!  Spent the whole day today on the couch and am feeling better, but the brief trips to the bathroom cause pain, I am learning every day that this is a slow process.  

• Posted

Cecil, I seriously thought your first post might be a spoof e-mail! You must take the advice of the other contributors otherwise you will do yourself harm.

Please listen to and respect your body which has undergone quite considerable trauma.

All the best.

• Posted

Cecil, I seriously thought your first post might be a spoof e-mail! You must take the advice of the other contributors otherwise you will do yourself harm.

Please listen to and respect your body which has undergone quite considerable trauma.

All the best.

• Posted

Footsies, your are right, it is traumatic and hard.

Today, just over 2 weeks after surgery and I am very nauseated with a terrible headache.  Not related to pain medicine, I am only taking Tylenol regular version.  Is the nauseau and headache part of all of this foot mess?

• Posted

Hi Cecil

I've been having headaches and feel tired all the time but no nausea.  But I don't sleep well generally and don't think I've been drinking enough.  I wonder if you're in a lot of pain would this be causing headaches and nausea?  Sorry I can't be of more help.

mel 

• Posted

Cecil,  I think you are very stressed.  I get a headache if I am tense and stressed.  It may sound a silly thing to say under the circumstances but try and relax, or at least try to take it easier.  Sit with your feet up.  The only bit of post op advice I got from the hospital was to breathe deeply on a frequent basis and I think this is good for the body.  Also, drink plenty of water.  I know this means getting up to go to the loo, or you could use a temporary arrangement, but it flushes out the system and hydrates the body. 

Would you considerate meditation?  Or deep relaxation.  Or, better still, self-hynosis? 

Sorry if it sounds as if I am telling you what to do but I really do believe it is all about looking after your body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.