Foot twitching and horrible pain when driving

Posted , 9 users are following.

Surgery May 23, left foot.  I don't know what it was called, but the bones broken, two titanium screws inserted, bone removed.  No weight bearing for 6 weeks, I have a boot to wear when out and about.  Today was a busy day out, running errands with help but with crutches, exhausting.  My foot seems to twitch involuntarily and the pain, even for driving 15 minutes, is sharp and stabbing, my foot feels enormous and as if it is going to explode.  Is this all normal?  It is very painful.

0 likes, 24 replies

Report / Delete

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Cecil.

Could your headaches be related to the anaesthetic as general anaesthesia does somethimes do this. Or, maybe if you had your surgery carried out by local anaesthetic. Any headache that lasts or recurs for several days needs investigating and I think you need to contact your GP if this is the case with you. Also, your bowels maybe sluggish and this too can cause  headache. It may sound odd to you I expect but it is a fact.

So, Firstly have a word with your GP and keep the bowels on the move! And, as you've alrady been advised by another member of this forum, keep yur fluid intake up as lack of fluids can make your bowels lazy.

Good Luck!

Gillian

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Gillian and everyone else who mentioned this, I have to say to all of you that you were most correct about taking it easy.  I saw my Dr today and X-rays were done.  I stepped on my operated left foot last week and caused damage to the repair.  He said that the second screw saved the surgery but that the "plane" of the bone had moved. Had I been outfitted with just one screw, it would have been a total fail.  I hope this makes sense.  

He also said that running errands and driving is harming my recovery - my incision site is now infected and I am starting on antibiotics.  I feel very dismayed by this news and he wants me back in short order to check on incision site.  Foot is rewrapped and now here I sit foot elevatedon the couch.  I definitely think pushing it too soon is to blame.  I took one misstep last week, stepping down on the foot and stopped myself before raising my whole body up.  It was habit, stepping out of the car after driving for the first time since he had cleared me.  I cannot believe the pain and the damage I did by this silly mistake.  I need to be patient!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Cecil, 

Sorry to hear about infection etc, now you will be forced to simply rest. You need kind friends to visit and bring lunch/ dinner at the same time. The worst thing I found was watching my usual pristine home deteriorate into chaos as my husband tried to keep up with the chores! !! I am learning that it is unimportant in the scheme of things. All the best in your recovery, 

Lou

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Cecil, I am so sorry you are in so much pain and fragile, I think this is a great lesson to all of us, just rest, rest rest for the first 3 weeks.

Take care and become creative whilst you are recouperating, I did many years ago and it ended up earning me money! So in your leisure time, use it to your advantage, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh Lou!  How I commiserate!  I see things everywhere that need to be picked up and cleaned, out away and dusted.  My dear mother in law has been here helping, my poor husband looks disheveled (needs a haircut!) and needs a break!  My mother is offering to come, I think we are going to take her up on it.  This is much more than my husband and I bargained for, we joke if we had known what this surgery entails I would never have done it!  But success is eventual for the patient patient!  We have a little one underfoot, 6 years old.  I love doing things with her and feel very sidelined, but it is all temporary.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So have been diligently planted on the couch.  Ventured to desk for change of scenery to work at computer.  When I did this, my big bandaged foot stubbed against the desk as I raised my leg up (while seated, like I was hiking the leg up and over to rest the heel on the desktop).  Terrible pain and of course "what in the heck!?"  The dimensions of my foot continue to catch me off guard.  The lack of mobility and control over the extremity I think contributed to my stubbing the vulnerable big toe.  Has this happened to anyone ?  Stubbing the big toe while trying to elevate ?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there, 

I can laugh about it now but about day 7 post op I was asleep I was dreaming I had stubbed my hammer toe with its pin into the door as i dreamt it I simultaneously dug it into the bed and literally twisted the wire . It hurt like hell !!

bw

Lou

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up