Footwear Post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Out of interest, what are you ladies wearing shoe-wise after the op?

Whilst I am 63 and a grandmother, I really don't want to wear anything too frumpy, but accept footwear needs to be sensible and supportive.

Suggestions, please.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hey lynn. i have just been wearing flat soft shoes. i only go to physio & back, otherwise i don't go out. no1 to come with me. as of saturday gone, i can have a shower, i get a good wash down everyday, but i am scared to get a shower in case i fall, as i am not to steady on my feet at the best of times with my back & the added pain of my leg. i know from before having my knee done, if their is a way to fall, i will. had a few before my surgery on my knee & by god, i hurt myself. its a pain xx
  • Posted

I am back to my faithful old Birkenstocks, come rain or shine, had to make a new hole to accommodate the swelling and some styles definitely more suitable than others. My friends turned up with a pair of Skechers yesterday that had like a trainer sole but weighed nothing and looked a bit like a deck shoe, not overly smart but whoah soooo comfy

Debx

• Posted

Have taken Jennifer's earlier advice and have just ordered some Skechers from Amazon!  Footwear is such a problem at the moment!

Pretty well given up on looking smart. Just want to feel safe.

• Posted

have been looking at those skechers my self , they do them in differant styles like trainers , its a memory foam sole , think ill have to do some shopping smile
    • Posted

So looking forward to mine arriving.

Will let you know what I think!

Just want to feel safe and supported when walking.  My goodness, this operation has thrown up some problems along the way!

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Like most everyone else, as I've gotten older ( I'm 67) shoes have become a real discomfort to me. Heels? Forget about it! That would be torture for me, unless they are low and for a short while.

I live in my Ryka walking shoes. I have several pair in different colors. If I want to dress it up a bit, I have some nice dress sandals.

As for me, at this stage in my life those are my only choices. I dread it if I have to go someplace really fancy, where no other type of shoe will do except a heel! Worry about that when the time comes, but for me my everyday shoe are my Ryka walking shoes. Good support for running around all day.

• Posted

Sketchers Go-Walk are amazingly light and ergonomicly designed to make you walk properly, in leather or canvas, they feel like slippers. They are reasonably wide, I have bunions and ok. At 5' 10" I have never been able to wear heels sadly.
  • Posted

now thats some thing i didnt really think about , i did get insoles from the hospital over a year ago , i do wear them all the time and dont really think about them . i work in a kitchen and have to wear some very nice flat ,black ,lace ups with steel toe caps ( yak ) so when i finish work my trainers go on ,when im home slippers ,never really been into shoes so if im seen out in heels its a shock .in fact we got married 33 years ago ,my husband had been ill for some months before hand , so out wedding was cheap ,cheap cheap , we didnt care ,so after we were married at 10 .15 in a morning and having our wedding breakfast with family and friends ,and a party later that night , we went to a local pub for the afternoon . i remember my mum shouting to me to get those b****y monkey boots off please look like a lady for once ,im a typical one the fashion look for lol, if my feet are happy then so am i and so is my husband as he doesnt have to spend lots of money on my shoes in fact he has more than me , im so sad x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.