For 5 weeks ive had diarrhea and constipation followed by sharp stomach pains.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. For 5 weeks ive had alternating diarrhea and constipation.

First 2 weeks i had constant diarrhea all day everyday which had signs of blood in. i nearly ended up checking myself into A&E. Diarrhea was accompanied by super sharp pains that made me needed to go to the toilet ASAP. I went to my GP and they took blood samples and i sent in a stool sample. The bloods came back something about inflammation but DR didnt go into anymore detail. It took nearly 3 weeks for my stool sample to come back, but to this day im still unsure on the results, however i recieved a letter through the post to say i have a meeting with a consultant in a few days time but it also said "clinic- General Surgery" so im abit confused? Its now the 6th week and ive had just constipation for the past 2 weeks. when i do manage to go to the toilet my stool show signs of mucus in. Im going to the toilet around 3 times a week, when usually i go once a day. I still get sharp pains when i need to go toilet and im sick of never feeling finished when i finally do go, i never feel "empty".

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but 18 weeks ago i had my Gallbladder removed due to polyps and gallstones. for 12 weeks after my surgery my bowel movements was normal and i felt better than i had before, so what im going through now i dont think is related to complications after gallbladder removal, but what do i know lol... I have been on a low fat diet and since the surgery i've lost 2 stone.

I have suffered from IBS in previous years but when i had a flare up, the diarrhea only lasted 1 day, and my flare ups didnt come regular, so i know that this isnt my usual "flare up"

has anyone had anything similar and would help shed some light on what i'm going through ? 😃

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It could indeed be complications after gallbladder surgery which can cause bile acid malabsorption which triggers diarrhoea like you describe! A SECHAT scan would show it up. It could also be an IBS flare up. Flare ups can change in type, severity and duration of symptoms. IBS is unpredictable and can change. No one flare up is the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.