for anyone worried about taking citalopram :)

Posted , 8 users are following.

so i thought i would write a review as there are alot of bad ones onn here that scare the life out of people.

?I got prescribed citalopram as i suffer from all different types of anxiety especially health anxiety. due to suffering from health anxiety i was so afraid of taking the tablets so it took me a week just to go and get them. when i did build up the courage and then took one i took it around 2pm i was so afraid that i had done it i wrote a discussion on here.. I can say there was no major side effects other then tired and spaced out feeling which i wasnt happy with so came off. i then decided a few days later to try them again but at a different time when it was ok to feel tired. so i decided to take them after i had dinner and washed up at around 7 on a full stomach and im so glad i did because it makes you feel relaxed when you need to be. i had no vivid dreams like others have reported or insomnia if anything i have slept much better. I did have abit of nausea but not as bad as what i thought i would after reading reviews and it was so bearable that once i ate something it would go. im so happy i started taking them again in the evening. I now i feel like my anxiety is lessening everyday and im looking at the world in a complete different way like when i was a child. Everything seems brighter. I'm not saying that 7pm will be perfect for everyone or that you wont get any other side effects but i am saying that over thinking the tablets makes you feel worse and so does reading up on side effects as anxiety suffers will start to look for the side effect and us anxiety sufferers no full well that when you look for things you start to feel them as if they are there because of anxiety. So to anyone who is worried about taking them just go for it. if you have been prescribed then you must be feeling bad. from my own account i am feeling great and am so glad i have taken them the tablets are life changing smile goodluck everyone x

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Morning Lauren,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Like you said there can be somewhat negative stories sometimes and it is so nice, not only for us long timers here, but also the new ones joining, that Cita does work for most and life can be better.

Thanks again and have a great weekend, no, have a great rest of yer life!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David, that was such a lovely account we've just read. Yes, there have been some scare stories, but each of us has to remember that we get side effects because we are introducing a foreign substance to our body/brain. Hope you are well David. Carry on Upwards!

• Posted

That's wonderful my daughter used them for migraines for a year sn half with brilliant results whn I tried them it was terrible I could nt deal wth feeling so much worse.... as my GP said it's always trial an error with meds he said sometimes theres a molecule that just doesn't work within some people..... something in them just did not work with me.... I also say give gem a go but after 3 weeks you should feel better nt worse otherwise ask for something else like Serdep50mg

• Posted

Morning Michelle,

Good news that they helped your daughter and sorry they didn't quite work for you however, even three weeks is not long enough for most.

It took me up to a couple of months to feel the full positive effects and from there on in it just got better!  Now, 19 months down the line (after a few non related blips like two bereavements and a couple of health issues) I am back and levelled out again.

So, as we all say it takes as long as it takes due to everyone one of us being unique, one-off, individuals.

Mind you I wouldn't have minded one bit if I had been a quick recovery!

Regards,

David

• Posted

morning David and Michelle. yes michelle you are right they dont work for everyone sorry to hear about your own experience. I think my post was more intended for the people who are anxious about taking the tabs and havent yet experienced them as i was so scared of taking them when i first got them due to my health anxiety i was thinking all sorts of stuff like 'what if i have an allergic reaction or what if my side effects are unbearable or they make me like a robot' etc as a long term anxiety sufferer these are the silly thoughts constantly going through my head. so i thought i would do a positive review for those like me who was prescribed them but reluctant to take them for reassurance as i felt i really needed that when first on them as people are more likely to write when things go bad then good. so here is a positive story of my own. Hope you both have a lovely day smile

• Posted

I started taking Citalopram about 4on the ago with some initial bums of higher anxiety I am feeling souch better. I find joy and am laughing again. My only side effects were decreased appetite that is back now and yawning. I take mine in the morning.

I know every medicine isn't for everyone but when you find the right one it is life changing in a good way.

• Posted

Hi Lauren that's so good to hear.. Iv also heard on here to take it with food to avoid any side effects . I can say tho iv heard More good than bad on this med ?? I was suposed to start yesterday after being on mirtazapine & venlafaxine but have to wait now tI'll Tuesday in which I will be going on with a positive open mind .. thanks again & good luck you keep feeling this well x

• Posted

I also get anxiety from health concerns. When I feel something going on in my body then my thoughts start to race. I did blood work and everything was fine but the thoughts keep racing. I have some good days and then ruin them by thinking about feeling bad again. I have been on 20 mg for 11 weeks. I think my Doc wants me to try 30mg. Not sure if I want to go up to 30 mg or keep waiting for the 20 mg to level me out. 😕
    • Posted

Hope you don't mind me joining in, but I also had health paranoia as I now call it.  My GP sent me for loads of tests and even an ECG,  fortunately they come back okay.  It is never anything to worry about most of us go through this too!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Strangely enough David, I had a major health scare a year ago with blood clots on my lungs. I had a routine follow up appt at end of June, which has been followed up by an MRI brain scan (my balance was way out), which showed I'd had some mini strokes (?!?!?!), I've had a test for pulmonary (lung) hypertension....all fine, and on Monday I'm being fitted with a 24 hour blood pressure monitor (oh delight). I can honestly say though that so far in my life the NHS has always been spot on for me.Iris

• Posted

That's good to know Diane.....I'm going up to 40 next week.....my motivation still needs a bit of a push

• Posted

Yes, my doc did the same test and I was fine too. Good to hear that you are ok. I check my blood pressure a couple times a day thinking that something may be wrong but it always reads ok. My head feels heavy as if I had to let some air out to relieve the pressure. Very strange.
    • Posted

I went from 20 to 30 after a week, should be taking 40 now but waiting a few more days. I think I've forgotten what it's like to be well

• Posted

Yes, I find it hard to recall when I was feeling good. Anxiety can really grab a hold of you and bring you down but we have to stay positive.
    • Posted

You must also remember one of the side effects is anxiety
    • Posted

You do not need to let any air out you need fresh air to breathe and that there emergency duvet to chill under!

Try not to over think everything, because everything is okay!

Regards,

David

• Posted

I know that we are talking ailments and most young forumers will think oh no! Or Bless! Anyway, I nearly died last year.  I had a burst appendix however, when they went in there was just shreds of it left.  I had been a walking dead man for two weeks they reckon!  The only thing that saved me was streptamilleri (a rare bacteria hiding amongst the usual strep in yer body) it had its moment by forming an absess around the deteriorating appendix and thus saving me life!

Without the NHS I may not be here and that is why I will fight every Tory parasitic policy now and until we asign them to the history books.

Your monitor is a simple device and simply fitted so, don't worry.

In the meanwhile enjoy the weekend!

Regards,

David

• Posted

I know that we are talking ailments and most young forumers will think oh no! Or Bless! Anyway, I nearly died last year.  I had a burst appendix however, when they went in there was just shreds of it left.  I had been a walking dead man for two weeks they reckon!  The only thing that saved me was streptamilleri (a rare bacteria hiding amongst the usual strep in yer body) it had its moment by forming an absess around the deteriorating appendix and thus saving me life!

Without the NHS I may not be here and that is why I will fight every Tory parasitic policy now and until we asign them to the history books.

Your monitor is a simple device and simply fitted so, don't worry.

In the meanwhile enjoy the weekend!

Regards,

David

• Posted

I found that Diane and needed to go up to 40mg where I still am at the moment.  From 30mg onward there was no side effects at all, in factthe anxiety wained at 20mg.

Good to hear you are doing well!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Have a restful weekend David.....I'm almost looking forward to 40 now on Monday!

• Posted

You are the same as I am David.....coping with external stress and stress from health problems. Go to Amazin and download a book entitled "Depressive Illness: the curse of the String" by Dr Tim Cantopher

• Posted

I shall certainly take a look at the book.

When I increased from 30mg to 40mg I reckon I was almost there, but I wanted to be sure and I found my level.  One thing I would not recommend you do is miss a dose.  I have done it twice now and it is yuk, the first time I forgot for three days!  We should have realised things were not right by the second day as I was noticeably agitated.

I am now living an almost stress free life since I changed my lifestyle and chose the right part time job to start back working.  A stress free life can only be achieved if you have everything you need, the way you want it and living away from people.  So I do get a little of other peoples stress come toward me however, I just let it pass over and behind me.

ENJOY THE BEAUTIFUL WEATHER!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Cheers David. I'm going on to 40 today I've decided. I only took 30 this morning because of a christening at 1130, but going to take another 10 now I'm home. I'm quite canny apart from dizzy spaced out head. I even had brekky this morning! I might have a hangover methinks. Sitting up watching these Olympics leads to bad habits !!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.