For most of the month....

Posted , 8 users are following.

...I bleed! Ever since I was told I was perimenopause my periods are erratic. Out of a 30 day month I bleed for maybe 25 of the days, some heavy, some really light but always a show. Does anyone else experience this or have done? Funny story I went for my smear test and they asked me the date of my last period and I said I'd like to know that too :-) thank you

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tracky 

in my very early peri onset i bled for 21 months, heavy, normal, light, never a day with no spotting, maybe two free days i think in 21 months 

feel for you as been there .

Good job you were stopped for the smear or they couldnt do it 

take care 

jay x

• Posted

Thanks Jay and thankfully result was clear :-) x
    • Posted

Hi sweetie 

oh thats fantastic 

Well done you, look after the body and hopefully it will look after you .

😊 

jay x

• Posted

Hello Tracky. This can happen because your hormones will be all over the place. However if it continues you'll need to make sure you don't become anaemic. You may also need further investigations in case you have fibroids. Whatever you do don't get to the stage where you feel so ill and tired before you do anything.
  • Posted

Yes i ddi this too, periods got longer heavier that in the end i was having one every fortnight, by the time  id finished it was time to start again, this went on for a couple of years then one month i had nothing, then id have one then nothing for maybe two months, finally nothing ever again, found agnus castus helped alot with the heaviness of the bleeding and evening primrose too.
    • Posted

Thanks Susan. I take evening primrose oil at the moment. It gets quite expensive having to buy sanitary wear! :-)
  • Posted

Hi Yes Tracky i know it was very exspensive, i had to buy both towels and tampons wouldnt feel safe with just tampons and didnt like the sensation without using them either so had to use both.
    • Posted

Should be on the NHS. If men had to use them they would be lol
    • Posted

Yes Matron should definatley be on the NHS these, mind you imagine living like a few hundred years ago before they invented tampons and the disposable towels, even in the 60s i can remember having to wear those horrible sanitary belts and you thread it through the looped towels, no snug fit back then and no waterproof backings!
    • Posted

Oh don't remind me susan. The sanitary towels were rough as well and they were so bulky! You could only buy Dr Whites as well.
    • Posted

Oh God the belts.  I remember those ghastly things.  lol  it was bloody hell (no pun intended) 
    • Posted

When I was younger I remember being so excited because I had started my periods. It meant I was grown up. What a fool I was 
    • Posted

Oh and yes i was so heavy i had to buy the maternity ones too, Remember buying one pack, it must have been about 10"x 12" , carried this enormous pack from the chemist, was raining, should have took my own bag, went accross the crossing, cars stopped both sides, bag felt apart due to getting wet and out fell the big pack of sanitary towels as i was crossing, had to pick it up and rushed over to the other side  as

quick as i could redface

• Posted

Hi yes especialy having to do PE at school in baggy navyblue knickers, mine never seemed to fit me snug, sure my mother bought a size to big! so the towel would a sort of hang down a bit in the middle away from your body, oh they were the days!
    • Posted

Yes me too, didn't realize did we what we had in store for the next 40 odd or more years to come.
    • Posted

Sounds like something out of a Carry On film susan! 
    • Posted

Nobody ever talked about it in those days either. We are so lucky having this forum. I remember my mother trying to tell me the facts of life, which I knew anyway. She was in the kitchen and me in the dining room. She was too embarrassed to look at me! 
    • Posted

OMG 

i remember my mum explaining about those and showing me..

luckily Kotex sylphs were on the go, little chunky sticky backed towels.

my mother scarred me to death with those.. 😳

i was only 12 

jeeeeeeeeez think she scarres my mind still lol

jay x

• Posted

Jay i was 12 when i had my first period, wish we had the sticky back ones then.
    • Posted

lol Oh penny just dropped, LOL bloody hell yes literaly cheesygrin 
    • Posted

I am trying to think if they were or not. 

They were Kotex Sylphs ... Seem to think they were .. Had a pull off strip with a sticky line at the back..

i can rememeber the plastic wrap and everything, white with blue writing ..

thats what i used for a while.. Yes i was just 12, (blimey 38 years ago) 

my mother never used tampons, she thought they were not right 😃 

blimey Tampax been around for years and lilets..

preferred lilets .. tampax really dry you up or seemed to for me ... Oooooch 

theres loads of everything now.. 

But they havent mastered choice for us menopause ladies in the way of relief ... Ummmmm 

jay x

• Posted

Lillets were the best, expanded widthways where as tampons just in length, then they had the lillets with applicator, now im begining to feel more confident. Jay no they wont find anything to make a relife for us meanapause ladies, tampons and towels were just ok for what they were designed for, but now its reverse, we need the moisture but in a differnet way. This is why my dr. said that nothing will work as good as the vagifem as to plumping out thin and delicate bits where you need it most. it did do so too but but as ive mentioned before in the end caused the start of bleeding again. i wonder if one could use one just a day  before making love then stop again? anyone tried this? problem is its rather predictable isnt it.
    • Posted

Hi susan

I use vaginal ovestin estriol ovules .

Only occassionly i think they are fab,

And also the ovestin cream on outer bits and around vag entrance twice a week, it does replump and makes all my discomforts go .

Here in spain its called ovestinon and i think the ovules are not available everywhere, shame as they have a silky feel and are not messy white, they are soothing.

U can use them as little as you wish, as and when required,

Jay x

• Posted

And then looking back from my seat at my school desk and hope to God you never leaked.  I still remember one girl leaked on her chair.  Scared me to death.  Soooo embarassing.  redface  Grade 7 and still remember that.  
    • Posted

Hi Matron

Does anyone remember the debate in the UK to get the VAT dropped from sanitary towels? Remember some jerk (male of course: we probably only had one female in front line politics at the time, and she was our PM) stating that as there were 'alternatives' , this wouldn't ( and hasn't) happen. The 'alternative' choice we have apparently - wait for it - is using washable strips of cotton material!

Picture the scene: Victorian England. Bucket loads of strips of old sheeting soaking in cold salty water then swaying in the breeze on a high washing line in the backyard of a tenament slum. Nice! Oh we have moved on, haven't we?!!

Bet his wife would have loved that!!

Now gone full circle whereby we have to sit watching young chicks prancing around in next to nothing - all thanks to those flipping 'Wings'!!!!!

Can't wait to have to stop buying them . Money I'll save might buy me a new hip (oh I'm testy today!!)

• Posted

Hi shaznay. Yes I do remember that business with the VAT. Couldn't see why sanitary towels etc couldn't have been VAT free but I suppose as they are a necessity it made the treasury lots of money, at our expense. After all it's not our fault we have the dreaded curse. Blame Eve in the Garden of Eden.
    • Posted

Hiya

Dya know what - when I read back some of my postings I make myself roll up! I sound like a Political Activist!!

Yep, I do love a debate, and am very opinionated (God knows hat I'd be like if I drank!?) but am completely reliant on my sense of humour to get me thought this!

Think I shouldy postings over the course of a month. I'll use this forum as my own version of the 'rhythm method' - but for the ups and downs of my moods!!

Yep, 'Its all about Eve' :-) !!

• Posted

shaznay I love reading your posts. You give great advice but add that touch of humour we could all do with when we're feeling down. Keep in touch.
    • Posted

shaznay 96184

Note to Self:  Practice what you Preach and Stop! Stop! Stop! sending posts from your Tablet!! Trouble is, when I read them back, they never look as bad as they print!!   Bad enough that I've just referred to dinner as 'two large chimney breasts'......instead of the obvious!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.