for the ladies!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone

i feel like ihaven't been on in here in a while because ive been doing quite well. My sleep seemed to settle down after the 10 week mark. My sleep anxiety was the reason i started citalopram. Would wake up in middle of night and got so anxious about not getting back to sleep that wouldn't and would be a walking zombie. As i said things were settling down i was waking up but being able to get back

Now its a few days before my period and all those negative thoughts are back and last 2 nights have

woke up and not been able to get back when theintrusive thought comes into my head i have noticed this pattern before

Does any other ladies anxiety or obsessive /intrusive thoughts come back before or during period? Feel like im back to square one which is very scary for me xx

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hey,

I noticed when I was on the pill I would get anxiety a day or so before and for a couple of days during then it would settle. I've been on the implanon for 8 months but have just had it removed I wouldn't get my period but every month I would have heightend anxiety when I was supposed to have them.

Hope this helps a bit

Cassandra

• Posted

hi,am the same i have been great with everything,but these last few days i feel like am at the start again,av just started bk to work so i dont know if its that wots causing my to be anxiious  again,

dee.xxx

• Posted

My anxiety definitely gets much worse right before my menstruation. Negative thoughts suddenly come and I also get very very down. Even with Citalopram. I have tried birth control pill and it just seemed to make it worse...
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply ilhabela, its good to know im not alone. I think its accepting that its that time of month...hard when your going through it tho xx
  • Posted

You might try taking magnesium glycinate since it is helpful for calming the nerves.  Perhaps taking some fish oil would help as well, high in DHA.  Let us know if you try these and if they help.
    • Posted

Hi Betsy

I actually take a magnesium drink at night and cod liver oil as a supplement and i think i can help, thanks for your advice xx

• Posted

Hope your anxiety has settled down again. I too have the same problem and it's a b####h. Think I'm hitting perimenopause too which doesn't help.

Joys of being a woman.

I've been on citalopram 4 months now, gone from 20mg to 40mg and I've found each month the pre period anxiety gets easier to handle and even seems to be lessening! Even the nasty sneaky negative thoughts are getting less.

I'm hoping each month slowly gets better for both of us.

Louise

P.s my Dr prescribed me vitamin B6 for PMS anxiety.

• Posted

Thanks for replying Louise it's so good to know it's not just me. Hormones are absolutely mental. Who could think they could affect us in such a powerful way

Hope you're doing well xx

• Posted

Hey

i had a bag 15 weeks ago, while I was pregnant I didn't have one episode of anxiety or panic attacks, then 4 weeks ago I took my period for the 1sr time and I felt a wee but anxious I had it for 3 weeks and it was light for 3 days then last Wednesday I had a massive panic attack and I have anxiety all day everyday with really awful thoughts, I don't want to go to sleep cause I'm dreading waking up,knowing the anxiety is still there, it's the 1st thing I think about, I have just started to take my meds again 20mg citlaopram so I'm hoping they kick in soon, I'm normally a confident person and this has really shook me up.  How can I go 9 months with nothing feeling on top of the world and then bang, definitely periods, hormones and anxiety are related for sure, hope u feel better soon ladies xx

• Posted

Stat should say baby not bag sorry
    • Posted

Hi Gill

I've heard that bring pregnant can really balance out your anxiety, our bodies are crazy things. It's a shame that you've had to go back on cit after doing well for so long so I'm sure it's just a blip. Congratulations on your baby and I'm sure the mess will get in soon and you can focus on enjoying your new arrival xx

• Posted

Hello, I've just restarted Cit last week at 10 mg, and now on 20 mg. I'm due to go up to 30 mg on Friday and stay there because that was the dose I was good on. I just started my period again yesterday and I noticed I was feeling a little more spaced out and having slight intrusive depressing thoughts and it made me a little anxious so I played a game to distract myself. I also noticed my last few periods I have no stomach cramps whatsoever and I used to get them every time I got my period? Is this normal?
    • Posted

I am on 20mg of cit and I had a baby 16 weeks ago and my hormones are playing havoc with my anxiety and emotions, I haven't had any cramps at all but am just totally drained, I could sleep every hour if it was possible, being a women is hard work, not sure if anyone has children in the group but did anyone experience a very long 1 st period after there baby was born and if so were you totally drained to, also cause I've only started my meds last Wednesday I can't eat as I have no appetite so that's making me feel pretty awful too, sorry for moaning but I feel this forum is so reassuring and helpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.