For the people with health anxiety/hypochondriasis...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Do you guys feel shooting pains on the specific part of your body that you're worried about?

For example, I was worried that i have deep vein thrombosis at one point because i had leg pain. After looking up the symptoms, i felt shooting pains through my leg the more i worried about it. 

Then another time i was having painful urination, the doctor did a urine test and showed i had a UTI. the pain radiated to my back and suggested i might have kidney stones. I then looked up what kidney stones were and once i was aware of the symptoms, i had shooting and flank pain on my back where the kidneys are located. Did ct scan and ultra sound and found no stones. Just a bad UTI. 

I was worried about breast discomfort and got a breast exam by two different doctors, no lumps. They asked me if i had history of breast cancer and i said no. Once she mentioned breast cancer i began to worry and started having shooting pains in my breast. I am getting an ultrasound in 2 weeks (i think they gave it to me to ease my mind). 

I just want to know if any one else experiences shooting pains or any type of pains in the body part they're worried about? (like if you think youre getting a heart attack, do you get chest pains shortly after? if you suspect a brain tumor, do you get shooting pains in your head or a horrible headache after suspecting that?)

I hope i'm not alone here and this is just my anxietyplaying tricks on me. Like now that my anxiety knows the symptoms an illness can cause, it will give them to me so i believe it even more.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are certainly not alone. This happends to me too. Anxiety has a way of making us believe what we fear the most. It is indeed something we have to learn how to control.This is also one of the main reasons we need to stay off google. So that we cannot find any symptoms that would make us worry. Hang in there its just anxiety.
  • Posted

you are not alone. i want to end this feeling,ive suffered much in this kind of situation. feel like im dying everyday. just cant stop googling symptoms,im super hyper aware of any pain in my body, too much self monitoring,ruined my daily life...oh god, i think im paranoid? im sorry,hope we all feel better.
  • Posted

That's your anxiety. It does the same too me. Its manifestations of what we think and the anxiety becomes physical. I sometimes get cramps or even heartburn in my chest and it freaks me out bc I think it's something bad. For weeks I was having such bad tension headaches that caused me to have a burning sensation in my head I thought my brain was melting or that I had cancer. Drive myself to the emergency room bc I was so scared and freaked out .Got a ct scan told me everything was normal and I Havnt had that burning sensation since. It's all in our heads unfortunately
  • Posted

Your definitely not alone. I've been suffering from this for almost 2 years. It gets worse when my anxiety flares up pretty bad that I get a little depressed from time to time. Insomnia, ibs, Back pain, acid reflux, pains in the back of the head and on my temple. chest pains worry me the most. Went into the emergency room multiple times. Vitals, ekg, urine test. The doctors say it's all somatic. Go figure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.