Forcing urination after TURP. Is this normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had TURP 5 days ago. Catheter removed 2 days ago. Urination is usually a small stream but requires my body to push moderately hard. Is it normal for this sort of pushing to be required? Urine is almost blood free.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Were they happy with your flow when the catheter was removed and did they check for retention?

Are you on any antibiotics and how clear is your urine now and any sign of blood clots

• Posted

Shouldn't have to force it. Call doc. May have a blockage. ( Material, scar tissue,clot). He can push a Cath in there or scope. Push it out of the way.

• Posted

It sounds like you may have a 'stricture' which needs to be worked on. No, you shouldn't have to force urination and in fact the flow should be very good. Yes, did you have retention checked by ultrasound and flow rate measured yet? I had mine checked at my 1 month review and I think just after my HoLep op.

• Posted

There may be some swelling still.have another catheter put in for three or four days.
  • Posted

You won't know your actual outcome for a few months due to swelling you have at the moment. It can take months for the outcome to be known. For only 5 days post- surgery, you are doing great.

Cheers- J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.