Forgetfullness

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I have been on antidepresants for about 10 yrs. Past 18 mths i am forgetting things, tired all the time etc.

Gp says its my meds but im not that sure . For piece of mind i want a head scan. Whats peoples thoughts

1 like, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm always forgetting things I've been in them 16 years my memory is awful x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

What type of antidepressant are you on and how many MG. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Venlafaxine 150 mgs twice a day
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Have you had blood test done?  Low potassium or iron levels can make you tired all the time.  I don’t know your age, but forgetting things increases as we get older.  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Joe

A-D Medications over the medium/long term can cause Forgetfulness, they can also  cause tiredness.

I find taking AD Medications are best taken at night, this will hopefully reduce tiredness throughout the day

The other problem can be controlled by either reducing your medication for the short term or you could also ask your GP to try a new AD medication. That may help

May I ask how old you are, you are considering a scan, I would advise you discuss this with your GP. 

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Joe

I have noted you are in your forties, I cannot imagine you have  anything serious with your memory. It normally starts in fifties/sixties  and even then it does not point to Dememtia

My memory is shot, I am in my late sixties and performed a scan and I had fives weeks of tests checking my concentration, and memory problems. They found I had a Congenital Short  Term Memory Disorder not linked to Dementia, so I have problems with my memories or when I am thinking of words to say I get tied up.

I also forget what I have done in the short tern.

So you have a long way to go, try not to worry, it will be the medications

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would agree for a lot of people ADs, especially higher doses, make the brain a bit foggy and less sharp I'm afraid.

It may help as others have said to try and reduce the size slowly if you can, but be careful and look after your mental health so you don't relapse into bad depression.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Interesting post. I have heard that can cause memory loss long term . I am taking St. John's wort as a natural alternative . I wonder if this still has long term effects even though it is plant based ? 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm on Venlafaxine 150 x2 per day, also 45 mg of Mirtazapine plus Clonazapam 3mg at night The antidepressants aren't working, but my memory is really bad,  Now in therapy which also isn't working. hard to find the motivation to even get out of bed.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I’ve been on Sertaline for 10 yrs and I have found my memory isn’t as good as my peers (I’m in my late twenties). I’m hoping it might come back after I ween myself off. 

S

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up