Forgive me all for I have sinned - not posted for months!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Well, its been 6 months now since my TKR and after visiting here regularly in the early days, and moaning and groaning ad nauseum, I thought it was time to pop by and say hi to you all ...

For those who are relatively new here, I suffered all the usual horrible post surgery symptoms that you would all have learnt is 'normal' ... for me the worst was the insomnia, non specific tears which flowed for no reason and depression, which I learnt was the result of stopping my pain relief meds. 

So ... 6 months down, I need an xray, just to ensure that all the 'clicking' noise that I'm hearing from my knee, isn't actually wearing anything down or doing anything else sinister.

Oh! Last week, I slipped over and landed on my good knee, resulting in a bunch of stitches making it my now ... bad knee! But it was just bad luck, and loose gravel which caused it .. nothing to do with my new knee misbehaving.

I'm pretty much back to my old self, and you too can look forward to this if you're somewhere between surgery and 6 months. In fact, I've been pretty good with my knee for a few months now smile

Anyway, that's it for me, just wanted to offer you all some insight to how things do get better.

I know everyone says it ... but seriously folks - it does get better. Just hang in there and enjoy the support of others around here who will be your new best friends for many months to come.

Cheers!

Lindy

5 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lindy,

I am post 11 weeks tkr this coming Monday. It's always great to read others have come out the other other side. I continue to doubt I will get there, but nice to get glimmers of hope.

The insomnia is dreadful, along with all the other things.....tears, pain, stiffness, frustration, etc.

Sorry about your other knee!

• Posted

Take heart debz, it does get better I promise.

Hang in there.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, I really do try to keep my spirits up. x
    • Posted

Don't stress Deb ...

It WILL get better! Especially after you've stopped taking the meds!

That will take care of the tears for sure, I can almost guarantee that.

Pain will ease, stiffness may continue a little but you'll learn to live with that, and the frustration will also ease before too long.

You're almost there Deb. Just be prepared for a rough couple of weeks when you come off the meds. You won't sleep, you will cry, you will be miserable, but then all of a sudden, you'll realise its been a couple of weeks since you haven't taken the meds and you'll start to come good ... Its just something to work through ... I found crocheting at that time, and haven't stopped since smile

Best wishes to you, and remember .. you are NOT alone,

Cheers,

Lindy

• Posted

Thanks for those positive thoughts!!

This forum is the only thing that has kept me going at times!

• Posted

Its so nice to hear you are feeling pretty much back to normal. I'll be 1year post TKR next week and still suffering. Nothing wrong with it per se but I still have fluid which causes discomfort. Nerve pain and numbness. And muscle pain in hamstrings and quads It's still not totally straight. Some swelling back of the knee too. I'm not overweight and I walk a lot. I guess some heal quicker than others. Am I glad I had it done? Not yet. Maybe one day I will be. smile onwards and upwards... Lol
    • Posted

Hi Suzi,

I don't walk nearly as much as I should .. maybe then the stiffness would go, but hey, it really doesn't worry me smile

I hope that your next 12 months will see all your problems disappear, and that you can post here for us, how 2106 has gone for you smile

Cheers,

Lindy

• Posted

I am 13 months today post op. The only thing I cant do (apart from things I couldnt do before) is running. I can walk, use stairs, SLEEP, dig in the allotment. I get an occasional twinge but no more than with any other set of muscles. Would I do it again YES I WOULD

If your pre op, there are some rough waters before the calm and Post op just hang on its getting better

• Posted

High 5 to you Annodoremouse!!!

Great to hear!

May all your walking, be great walks!

Cheers,

Lindy

• Posted

Lindy 

well said - this help group do need more positives than negatives as

we are all in the same boat pain wise.

wishing you well

best wishes

Jude UK 

• Posted

Thank you so much Jude from UK smile

And yes, I found it so easy to read the negative posts and console myself that I wasn't alone here, but also thought it was great to read that people had come through it all, and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just wanted to continue the support that I got and needed so badly at the time.

Cheers to you too,

Lindy from Australia

• Posted

Lovely to hear from you again.

Glad you are doing OK.

Keep doing your exercises.

Take care and hear from you in about 6 months time!!

Bi annually!!

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thanks Sarah!

I so loved this group when I needed it, I'll definitely be around from time to time. I even recommend it to anyone I cross paths with and I know a few friends of friends have visited after their surgeries smile

Cheers,

Lindy

• Posted

Hi

Did you have the clicking from the beginning? And whereabouts is it in your knee? X

• Posted

Hi Elaine smile

The clicking seems to be coming from the right side of the knee and yes it was there pretty much from the beginning .. we noticed it in rehab and the physio wasn't worried about it. It isn't painful, just noisy!

Cheers,

Lindy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.