Forgive me all for I have sinned - not posted for months!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Well, its been 6 months now since my TKR and after visiting here regularly in the early days, and moaning and groaning ad nauseum, I thought it was time to pop by and say hi to you all ...

For those who are relatively new here, I suffered all the usual horrible post surgery symptoms that you would all have learnt is 'normal' ... for me the worst was the insomnia, non specific tears which flowed for no reason and depression, which I learnt was the result of stopping my pain relief meds. 

So ... 6 months down, I need an xray, just to ensure that all the 'clicking' noise that I'm hearing from my knee, isn't actually wearing anything down or doing anything else sinister.

Oh! Last week, I slipped over and landed on my good knee, resulting in a bunch of stitches making it my now ... bad knee! But it was just bad luck, and loose gravel which caused it .. nothing to do with my new knee misbehaving.

I'm pretty much back to my old self, and you too can look forward to this if you're somewhere between surgery and 6 months. In fact, I've been pretty good with my knee for a few months now smile

Anyway, that's it for me, just wanted to offer you all some insight to how things do get better.

I know everyone says it ... but seriously folks - it does get better. Just hang in there and enjoy the support of others around here who will be your new best friends for many months to come.

Cheers!

Lindy

5 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

great to hear from you ,so glad that you are doing so well .im sure your post will give all a very good feeling that they too will be back to their lives ,without thinking of their knees .    great positive post .i hope someday ill post a good post like this ,unfortunetly mine is a long work in progress but i live in hope il post something like this in the future well done lindyblue x
    • Posted

Hang in there Linda wink

I'm not saying my knee is good as new, but it sure is better than before when I felt that every step I took, was being done with a broken bone in my lower leg ... I would do it again, even though in the early days I swore I wouldn't, but at least next time, I'd be well aware of all the tears and insomnia, depression, pain etc. so it wouldn't come out of the blue and make me feel like it would never end. 

I don't do exercises anymore, in fact I don't give my knee much thought, other than when I stand up and its a bit stiff for a couple of steps ... a small price to pay for no more pain and the ability to walk!!

Cheers and keep being positive,

Lindy smile

• Posted

Well done for posting again Linda. I also haven't posted for a while and now am inspired to do so.

I also am now doing great and have a new energy and revived zest for fun times after a right hip replacement in December, and bilateral TKR in 

May. Super aggressive Osteoarthritis almost crippled me within 2 years. I am 58, and after being told by a number of doctors that I was too young for joint replacements, I found a wonderful surgeon who agreed with me that I was too young to have my quality of life so severely impacted by the pain and loss of mo[u]bility I was suffering.[/u]

I am so proud to say that over the last couple of weeks I have been up dancing at a live music festival, and at a friends party.  Welcome back to life.

This time last year I remember having to leave a fantastic music concert early as I was in so much discomfort ..I couldn't stand, let alone dance.

So all of the pain and discomfort during recovery from surgery, though not easy, totally worth it, to be enjoying life again pain free.

I still have the numbness around my knees, still hate my scars, still cannot get used to the weird clicking in my knees in the mornings, still have to focus on walking properly, but that is all OK, as I don't have the debilitating pain anymore that came with every step.  And I can dance again.. 

I have so much more energy now. I realise now that my life energy was being sapped by the pain. 

While there are many challenges recovering from surgery, and getting used to the new bionic you, think of them all as positive challenges, as the outcome is so much better than where you were.

Happy recovery everyone, and may you be back up and dancing soon..Or back to doing your favourite thing

​Alison from Australia[u] [/u]

• Posted

Thanks Alison, 

How wonderful for you!

I'm with you ... in Australia too ... (Victoria here) ... and although not a dancer, I do love my swimming, something I can now do again.

In fact, I'm starting back again this week with regular swims which I haven't done for a couple of years now! I sure need the exercise so am pretty excited about that.

It got to the point, where even my beloved swimming would hurt, so fingers crossed, and I'm sure it'll be ok, I'm starting that again.

Like you I was also considered too young when I was 50, so managed to hang in there with acupuncture which was amazing for me, for 6 years ... then stopped being amazing sad It was obviously time for surgery. My surgeon (Peter Gant) was awesome and I'd happily recommend him to anyone. He did my aunt's hips and she can now also walk again and forgets she's even had them done!!!

Keep up the great work,

Cheers,

Lindy

• Posted

Hi Lindy,

It was so good to read your post!  I am 7 wks post PKR and I think I'm doing pretty good.  Been off meds since 3 weeks but I have my left knee scheduled for surgery on Dec. 17th.  Not looking forward to it but will be glad to be done and hopefully 2016 will be alot less painful.  I'm really working hard at getting the right knee strong enough to help when the left knee is lame!!!  I still have alot of stiffness but I'm hearing that's pretty normal too.  I've read so many posts from people in pain, it was definitely good to hear from someone who made it through!

Good luck with the clicking!  I read on one of these posts that that was another common thing with knee replacement.  Hope it goes away!

Take care!

• Posted

I haven't been on the sight for ages either.

I had tkr in July last year and I've just got the GP referral to see the Orthopedic surgeon for my other knee.

I am not looking forward to it, but I know if all goes well I will have my life back and will be able to walk again.

I just hope the waiting list is not too long, but even so I don't expect to get in before Christmas.

This forum was a blessing.......I stumbled across it about two months after my first tkr.

• Posted

Had my op on 13th August, so now about 11 weeks post op. Had several ups and downs, including twisting my knee at about week 5, which set me back a bit. I was wondering if it is still normal to get pain? It was doing fine and the doc was happy with me at my post op appt last Monday, but since then I have gone back to work, and it seems more painful now. I only work part time and mainly sit, but does seem that the knee and the surrounding area aches and throbs a lot atm.

I also have a cold (courtesy of my son) and was wondering if that could be part of it? I react badly to most painkillers and can't take others due to high blood pressure, so from day 2 have been on ibuprofen and paracetamol only.

I guess my question is how long have others had pain?

• Posted

I don't know how long it will last but I'm at 7 weeks po and my knee hurts the most when I am sitting down.  It seems to start aching just from the bend in the short time I'm in the car.  Is it possible to sit something, under your desk or whatever, to prop your foot up on.  

Personally, I think a cold can make everything feel bad!  Hoping you feel better soon.

• Posted

Linda, my tkr was 4 days after yours. I am still having pain and stiffness. I didn't twist my knee, but somehow pulled or strained a muscle on the inside of my knee. My therapist said today that maybe it was a result of breaking my toe on other foot causing my walk to be bad for my knee.

I am back at work full time, and I believe my knee's biggest enemy is sitting for too long. I have to make a point of standing and walking a bit to hold the pain and stiffness at bay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.