Forgot how to walk

Posted , 7 users are following.

broke ankle (21fractures) early November. After four plates and screws fitted, I have in last two weeks been allowed to now bear weight.

at times when I stand I just freeze, as though can't remember how to put one front of other. 

I was using moon boot and Zimmer frame. Now after 2nd time at physio told to use crutches and stop using boot. Terrified. 

Also after having ankle pulled and tugged the last two days found ankle to be more stiff than ever. Anyone else had these problems?

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Be sure to tell the PT what you are experiencing -- including the freezing problem. They should be able to help you through it all.
    • Posted

Told my physio about freezing when try to walk. He didn't seem that interested. More interested in my standing and pushing heel to floor. Since been there last week can hardly flex foot at all after he pushed and shoved. Have done exercises given and did feel improvement in the stiffness but now feel it's tighter than ever. 

At least this week seeing someone differeny

• Posted

Gill,

Remember that just because you're a patient, you don't give up your rights to demanding good customer service.  If you're not receiving proper and effective communication or appropriate tactical changes given your feedback, you need to let your healthcare provider know you're unhappy and demand that he react accordingly.  In this case, tell him you want to know why he blew off your report of freezing up.  Demand an answer.  These people are not beyond reproach.

• Posted

Thanks, seeing someone different this week so we will see what their approach will be.
  • Posted

Hi Gill 

just checking in. I'm starting to slowly weight bear and thought how you said you forgot how to walk, this is happening to me. How are you now, any tips if you managed to move forward. Hoping your doing amazing, keep on

taje care 👣

• Posted

Hi jannie, still no further forward. Actually still can only do a shuffle. Brain doesn't seem to work with feet. I have mentioned this at the three physio appointments I had so far. He seems more interested in me using crutches than the Zimmer using at present. Feel safer with Zimmer after having nasty fall using crutches. Seeing consultant tomorrow so maybe he listen. Also got problem down scar. Small part hadn't healed since operation 16/11/2015. Then on Tuesday while nurse changing dressing another three places broke out. They say doesn't look infected, so really scared could be reaction to metal plates. 

On a brighter note I can now weight bear for a little while, without too much pain. Swelling and tightness around ankle is also problem.

keep in touch and let me know how your going.

• Posted

nurse at doctors surgery told me whilst sitting move feet backwards and forward. Also told me to try just baby steps. Had been trying this for a while anyway to no avail.

That fed up even was searching out a hypnotis. 

Really beginning to think "what wrong with me". 

• Posted

Thanks Gill. You'll get there, I'm hopeful I will be too although today I feel overwhelmed see how it goes tomorrow at Physio. One day at a time. They put me on crutches last week and I just stood there on one foot couldn't move. Don't like them so going use walker. See what happens. Keep shuffling you'll get there. Take good care. 

Oh oh about your incision can you put a warm clean cloth on it and then put some aloe or polysporin on it?  What does the doc say??  Sending hugs 

• Posted

I'm sure we all get there given time. Doctors have told me to keep wound dry. Thinking of getting one of those plaster cover just so can bathe or take a shower. I put off getting one as some say they leak. 

I have recently purchased a exercise bike to try and build up both legs. Both legs are wasting away. Strange though waist line remained the same! 

• Posted

Do you air it too Gil?  I can only sit on my bike and go up and down not a full rotation, yet! Keep on slow and steady wins the race 👣
    • Posted

Since operation nurse doing dressings has kept scar covered. Told her Friday was going to take salty bath, she nearly had a fit. 

I first used good leg to get rotation. Although last two weeks have used leg with broken ankle to do rotation. Should be video though on trying to get on the bike.😹 A worthy performance in itself. 

Well off to bounce up stairs backwards. 

• Posted

It's a slow gradual process Gill. I could only shuffle up the stairs, but walking again will come in time. I took small regular steps to get used to walking again. I still struggle with uneven surfaces, ramps etc, but I suppose that will come in time, if I look back to December I was still on crutches. I do still get angry that I'm still not walking without discomfort after almost 5 months since injury
    • Posted

Hi jannie, update on visit to hospital to see consultant today. He didn't seem concerned about the weeping on the scar, he seems to think could be a reaction to the type of dressing the nurses have been putting on. He has given me dressings that actually let the air to it. In the meantime still have to keep it dry.

He is happy with bone healing. I had been concentrating on pointing toes down over to loosen ankle tightness but he said the more important one is pulling ankle up towards body, as this is the part we need for walking, and to stretch it till it hurts. As for freezing when trying to work he said entirely up to me. 

• Posted

Walk not work😊
    • Posted

Hi Gil. The nurses had left two stitches in when they had supposedly been removed. It was my physio that noticed them still present in my ankle.

My ankle healed really well but it's the walking now that is taking its time

• Posted

Hi, pleased your ankle has healed well. I now have the same problem with the walking side of things. Can't get brain and legs to work together. I sometime think I overthink! It's a case of building confidence back up again. I know ankle can take the weight. Think the confidence is going to take longer than the healing of bones. Just a case we just have to keep working at this and hopefully one of these days it just click back in place. 
    • Posted

I agree with you, I'm constantly over thinking, deciding the best way to tackle certain obstacles, uneven surfaces, climbing stairs, decending stairs, ramps.

The list is endless, I'm constantly tired and in bed for 9pm each night, I put this down to my brain being exhausted by the days events.

I used to be positive & active pre injury staying out at weekend till 4am.

In the week never went bed before midnight pre injury.

I am 55 years old and this is the first time in hospital and surgery. I think this has had a major part to play in the recovery. I'm hopeful that we will all recover in time, it's just the timeframe and not knowing when that will be that is the issue I'm having. Good luck with your recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.