Forthcoming op for knee replacement

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have just had an operation to repair damage to the cartlidge in my knee. However on my check up I was informed that my knee is grade 5 and requiring knee replacement. After reading and following the posts in this group, I think I will opt out of the surgery as there is more negatives to having the surgery and it had put me off having it done,It sounds horrendous the amount of suffering and limited mobility even with a new knee. I see the surgeon next month to give him my decision.

Thanks for all your posts that I have read which has helped me make my decision.

Yvonne sad

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, and welcome to our little group.

Youre right, the process of surgery and recovery is pretty grim. BUT - and its a BIG but - you have to realise that we are the exception rather than the rule. Im sure that there are plenty of people who have textbook-perfect surgery, no complications, adequate rehab - NONE of these people would have the need to post their experiences on here - they wont be seeking answers to their questions and solutions to their problems as, quite frankly, they wont have any! We are the unlucky few who, for whatever reason, have sought solace in like-minded people who understand (or at least empathise with) what we are going through.

I'm sure plenty of my compadres will be along to add their thoughts, and Im sure there are a couple of people who will be able to give you more details than me, but despite the problems Im currently experiencing, I would STILL recommend TKR as a solution to long-term severe knee pain due to OA. I cant comment on having it for other reasons, as mine were for OA so thats all I really know about. 

I would urge you not to rush into your decision, take some time. Severe OA is debilitating and it can only get worse. Dont burn your bridges just yet.

Terri - Right TKR March 2015 Left TKR October 2015

• Posted

Hi yvonnemarie smile

I really understand what you're saying. I think if I'd read this forum before my op, I may never have gone through with it !! However.....now that I have, I can honestly say that I have every hope that the overall outcome will be better than it would have been if I'd had no intervention. And that's got to be a good thing.

I think things seem bad on here for two reasons: 1) people are sounding off in the immediate aftermath of a pretty difficult operation, and 2) there are always some risks to any op ( as well as to not having it), and the people who have had problems are naturally posting more than others.

So....I agree with terri. Do think it over again, please, before you make your decision. Wishing you all the best x

• Posted

I am 49 years old and had a partial knee replacement 2 weeks ago, I was not in severe pain all the time prior to surgery but it was severely affecting my life, I could walk for about 20 minutes before the pain made me sit down and if I overdid it I could barely walk by evening, however, I could still ride a bike which I rode 4 to 5 miles 5 times a week to keep fit. I went ahead with surgery now because I was fed up with living half a life and not even able to enjoy a day out with my family and had to miss my friends hen weekend to London because I didn't want to restrict everyone else's activities and I knew I wasn't up to trekking arounda big city all day. I joined this group because the medical professionals seemed to skim over the reality, I was told recovery was 6 weeks and I would be walking unaided. I was quite shocked at how much pain I was in the first week and how stiff and swollen my knee was, so I came on here looking for advice and reassurance which I got plenty of, everyone was very supportive. For me personally once the first week was over and I got the hang of controlling the painkillers things improved, I am walking with 1 crutch and can Potter around the house now, I have been able to half the painkillers in the last few days, really just taking them at night and first thing in morning. I may well be walking unaided by my 6th week who knows and I can tell the OA pain has gone, I am glad I had it done even though I still have a long journey back to full recovery. Of course everyone is different and everyone has a different experience and you have to look at the pros and cons for your situation and listen to what your surgeon advices. Best of luck for the future with whatever you decide.
    • Posted

I wasnt aware that you can have a partial replacment. How long is it before  you can drive again. I guess my insuranc would be void if I did not disclose any surgery.
    • Posted

A partial replacement isn't suitable for everyone, I was lucky that only the medial compartment was affected, the rest of my knee was fine. I am not expecting to be able to drive for 6 weeks, but will take advice from the medical professionals when I feel I am ready, you need to be able to be in complete control of the car and your insurance would be invalid if you went against medical advice. I spent a number of months preparing for this op, I lost weight and did physio exercises before hand to strengthen the muscles in my leg as well as riding my bike, to be as fit as possible to give myself the best chance.
    • Posted

I was walking unaided after a week, and drove myself to physio after two weeks.

The pain before my replacement was so severe that the pain afterwards was a different pain, but I drove before I had it done, and could brake after two weeks.

I think a lot depends on the person, I've had a lot of surgery, including more than one spinal op, so I'm a tough old bird, as they say!

I've since had my other knee replaced, the awful arthritis pain has gone, I can swing my knees, and bend my knees, and walk with just stiffness, which is a hell of a lot better than the grating creaking and awful pain I had before.

Arthritis can only get worse, a new knee generally gets better, just needs a bit of acceptance and excersice and lots of ice to bring the swelling down.

So I'm definitely a positive experience, pain and all, it was truly worth it.

Please think again, 

• Posted

Hi sandra

Just checking in to see how your day was? I was able to get out again today and did some walking maybe a little to much as it is sore and a tad swollen, so here come the ice. Hopefully tomorrow therapy goes good I am actually looking forward to it. I did go buy a stretch out strap to help with home therapy. I will keep you posted after therapy. Have a great night get some sleep. And as always thanks you. On a side note I would like to ask what is a good England dish to cook and eat, as I like to try new things. I also plan on asking Alan the samething

Tom

• Posted

I completely agree with the previous posts. People come on this forum for help and posting progress. I myself found tips to help me now and further along IF I encounter a different problem. I am 9 weeks post op double tkr and was worried about that decision but it's going to be one of the best I ever made. I have spent more than 5 years going up and down stairs like a toddler due to OA. Now albeit slower than most ..I can do stairs like a normal person, walk without a limp and making those faces from pain at every step. Each week I get better results at physical therapy and am able to start enjoying the weather.

We all are different and handle surgery and pain in different ways. Your doctor will help with that. I also had a total hysterectomy in Nov with everything plus two other small organs taken out...I would do the tkr before the other one any day.

Give it some thought and read more on this forum. Ive found lots of positive posts.

Good luck

• Posted

I completely agree with the previous posts. People come on this forum for help and posting progress. I myself found tips to help me now and further along IF I encounter a different problem. I am 9 weeks post op double tkr and was worried about that decision but it's going to be one of the best I ever made. I have spent more than 5 years going up and down stairs like a toddler due to OA. Now albeit slower than most ..I can do stairs like a normal person, walk without a limp and making those faces from pain at every step. Each week I get better results at physical therapy and am able to start enjoying the weather.

We all are different and handle surgery and pain in different ways. Your doctor will help with that. I also had a total hysterectomy in Nov with everything plus two other small organs taken out...I would do the tkr before the other one any day.

Give it some thought and read more on this forum. Ive found lots of positive posts.

Good luck

• Posted

Good luck

• Posted

Sorry for the repetitive posts. Not sure what happened there smile
  • Posted

I for one will never have another knee done because of my health situation but I have heard great results from others. With two previous heart attacks and the development of two blood clots in my leg after the surgery plus 2 heel spurs making it difficult to walk,you can see my fear.Now I have developed a frozen shoulder from the pushing of my arms on the walker. I also cannot take any pain killers. Has not been a pleasant experience for me,but everyone is different.

• Posted

Hi I am 13 days po and I can say it has bee very hard. I was like you in 2014 I had two surgeries 6 months apart to repair meniscus damage and I was told I was bone on bone, and live with he pain as long as you can. Forward 2 years I went for the knee replacement as he was doing the surgery it was all three compartments were bone on bone and my acl was hanging by a thread doctors words. He could not believe I was walking still. So here we are 13 days later yes still in pain, still swollen, still stiff, still bruised, but I made the right decision quality of life over rules the pain I have now. If you ask everyone on here I would say 95% say it was the best decision they made. I joined this forum 6 days ago and I was in a very dark place I blamed myself for all the pain I was having. I would not follow med schedule and belive me it was hell now after receiving many many words of encouragement I can say it will get better. I know there will be many many more dark days ahead and many set backs but with the help and support of the people on here I will get through this. So I would ask you to really think about your decision and yes it is your decision ask a million and one questions then make an informed decision. So I wish you all the best. Good luck

Tom

• Posted

just remember .....out of a thousand takes you may have one post on here and then will disappear in a few weeks. Tkr recovery is a process and most go through it in text book fashion but some struggle and those are the ones that find their way here. Some are just looking for more info and a better way to heal. I can guarantee that your 1st 6 weeks will be difficult. After all, the extent of this proceedure is brutal at best. People like me have had extenuating circumstances ( a rare tumor) that drove me to it and as they can't remove it all, it is still being destructive and will be till the day I die. If you would have been on here for a year you would have seen most of the names and problems dissappear. Those that have a choice must ask themselves how they want to live out their future. Knowing there is pain and disability looming the rest of their lives or a huge chance of getting rid of it. That is up to you.
    • Posted

Hi there sir,

How was your day. I hope all is well. Things here are going ok. Was able to get outside for a while today. Does a world of good. Was able to walk more today at one shot then before. Excerises are going. Tomorrow is first day of pt so let's see how that goes. Well take care hope you have a great night and always thanks for all your support.

Tom

• Posted

Be sure and hit the pain meds an hour before you go to PT. It will sure make a difference in how far it will take you. This rainy weather is rough on joints. Rain this morning and more coming tomorrow. Thus and Fri supposed to be dry. I am now paying for doing too much yard work over the last couple of weeks. I put in over 100 flowers and not being able to kneel (due to all my surgeries the Dr doesn't want me ever kneeling again) I had to do them bending over. I used to dig the holes and my wife would plant them. Her Parkinson's started creating falling concerns and year before last year she was messing around in a raised flower against my orders and fell out backwards, landing flat on her back, hitting her head on big tuft of grass. She no longer tries to help, thankfully. I also hauled and put down 35 bags of mulch. Too much for a guy pushing 80. My brain says I'm 40.......my body says I'm 90. Today I visited my chiropractor and will again Thursday. He told me if I could envinsion a telephone pole with two guy wires leading from it .....then mentally push that pole forward to 15° angle.....that's my body right now. It'll straighten up but I can't kid myself....it'll take awhile.

So glad to hear things are moving forward for you. A couple of good days really makes a change....sometimes more mentally than physically.

• Posted

Hello there sir.

I am just in checking in to see how things are going? I hope everything is good with you and your wife. I had my staples removed today all looked good xrays look good when he was moving the knee it moved well. Getting some movement with quad muscle so able to lift leg a tad. Have some pain and soreness now was on feet a little more today so pain meds and ice do there job I hope.

So again I hope all is well my friend so take care I am always here. Have a great night

Thanks again

Tom

• Posted

Be agressive but not so aggressive you have a set back. Move up to the level of pain but not into pain. Sounds like you really turned the corner this weekend. Just don't use anything on the incision Until the scabs are completely healed. I have always used Vit E oil and massage it in really deep.

Spring is finally here and that has really brought on the storms. Heavy, heavy rains, tornados, hail and damaging winds. Today has been a bear and the night's are brutal as far as sleep. Weather guy said this could be a record 24 hr. rainfall.

Have a good night and better holiday weekend

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.