Four weeks postop

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am still in pain at 4 weeks. I am taking Norco. I try to go as long as possible, but by 5 hours my leg is screaming. Is it usual to still be in pain at 4 weeks? Sleep is impossible for more than 2 hours at a time. I find myself getting so discouraged.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

This is normal. I had pain and sleepless nights for about 8 weeks. It WILL get better. Best Wishes!
  • Posted

Ellen, 4 weeks here. Still on Dilaudid 2mg every 4 hours. Sometimes I augment with 25-50 mg of Vicodin. I ice, I elevate. Starting to sleep about 2-3 hours at a time at night.

From what I have seen on here pretty normal but I also get discouraged. Is it just pain in the leg or do you have "hot spots". I have pain in the whole leg and knee and get really pain pain on the left outer side of my knee. I also have nerve pain and sometimes just the touch of the sheet is unbearable with the burning sensation. I also have stabbing pains or "electric shock" pain intermittently. Just giving you an overview.

• Posted

Take it every 4 hours as directed! Don't let it start hurting so bad. Then you're playing catch up with the pain and that's hard to do. Yes you will be in bad pain for awhile. God bless you! Take your meds so you can do your physio.

• Posted

Renee is right.  This is not a pain endurance contest.  Read the post.  The meds are normal for quite a while.  At 4 weeks, you've just started the journey.  I'm 10+ months and still going.  This thing takes a year.

• Posted

Dear Ellen,

Maybe you should touch base with your doctor. Everyone is different, but it's so important to advocate for yourself! Hang in there!

Tammy

• Posted

Take your meds! Your body cant heal when its hurting! Lack of sleep effects all of our attitudes. It WILL change and get better. Plus the drugs let you exercise and in the long run. thats what makes you better. Stretch your hips too. This past week i had one really BAD day, i decided to rest the whole day. All the other days have been better. I still ache and intermittent transient pains but am getting stronger at 8wks today. smile

• Posted

Completely normal need to ice ice baby.

Rest elevation and if you can hot baths

Good healing

• Posted

Goodness 4 weeks is nothing! You will start turning the corner around 6 weeks but it's a long haul - you've had a joint removed and replaced, not your tonsils out-it's a massive job and it's painful, but you WILL come out the other side with a new leg. Keep doing the exercises even though they hurt like hell because they pay off big time eventually. Good luck xxx

• Posted

Hi Ellen. I am now 6 months post TKR and am still uncomfortable if I do too much. At 4 weeks I am afraid you will still get a lot of pain, particularly at night in bed. It took me a long time ( months) to be comfortable at night. Just keep taking the painkillers and icing your knee as much as possible and you will get there. If you are in pain just take the pills it is the only way you can cope and you will come out the other end eventually. Believe me you will get there it just takes time don't get too discouraged.

• Posted

I'm at eight weeks and still havea general ache with some shooting pains in the knee itself and even in my calf and thigh. Nothing I can't handle in the daytime so I don't take any meds then,

At night I still need some help. I take 5 mg of lorazepam before bed to help me relax and go to sleep. Last night I swicthed from vicodin to 500 mg of acetominophen for the pain and it seemed just as effective.

I was also incredibly discouraged around four weeks but I went back to work at six and that lifted my spirits up greatly.

• Posted

Tomorrow is my first day back to work. I'll be working part-time, but I am really looking forward to returning. It was good to hear you say it lifted your spirits to return at 6 weeks!

• Posted

VERY very normal.  why do you try to go five hours?  that I think is the mistake.  Taking pain killers regularly is the key to controlling pain, and not allowing it to get on top of you. Once it is really bad, pain killers won't get rid of it.  Lack of sleep is common to nearly all of us, and doesn't parituclarly seem to be connected to pain . . it's something which happens, and eventually it will resolve.  Meanwhile, try to sleep when you can.  Even with good pain management, pain will still be around for a while yet unfortunately, especially as you try to get the bend . . . 

• Posted

Thank you all for the encouragement. I go five hours instead of four hours because my doctor gives me 60 pills (at most) at a time. That is about 5 days worth.  I wind up having to go to his office to pick up a new prescription in less than a week.  I was talking to another patient at PT today who has the same concerns. She suggested asking for a different, more effective medication. I can't take Percocet ( hives and itching). I have no idea about pain relievers to discuss with doctor. I see him on Thursday.

• Posted

Hi guys. I just found this blog and thought I would join in. I am 7 weeks post op and very discouraged at my progress. I have moderate pain 24/7 that is keeping me exhausted. On good days I can use a cane when walking but feel like I'm leaning on it too much so I still use my walker. PT is going well with flexion at 120 and extension at 10 but on day when I have no PT the knee tightens right back up. My surgeon won't prescribe any pain medication except for Tramadol and it only helps for about 2-3 hours. I ice 2 times a day with no relief. Any other suggestions?

• Posted

Hi

If your knee is still burning ice all day, I found hot baths helped . Google Aircast cuff, it's an ice bucket and knee wrap uses gravity to empty and refill knee wrap with iced water..

Rest and elevation.

Good healing

• Posted

tramadol is pretty darned good!  My doctor only wanted me to have paracetamol (acetominiphen) but I finally talked him in to giving me  zaldiar (tramadol/paracetamol)  I always hesitate on these things, but still using a walker is maybe not the best way forward?  Of course, I don't know your medical history, age, or anything. . . but usually at six weeks they seem to think we should be walking without a cane, let alone a walker.  Sounds a little as if you need more confidence in your knee??  The walker may be becoming a hindrance rather than a help . . but your physiotherapist or surgeon can advise you better, as they know your personal circumstances.  Seven weeks. . yes, there is still a lot of pain at that stage, and getting that extension down from 10 to 0 is going to need a lot of perseverance and ps==ushing, and until you have a straight leg, walking will be tricky, nd standing still, in a queue (line) for example, painful . . You could try mising paracetamol with the tramadol . that is perfectly safe, as it is even marketed as a mixture. . . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.