Four years hell with prolapse despite 'corrective' surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been chronically ill since I was diagnosed with full rectal prolapse or a year before that actually, as the tests I had did not show up the full extent.  I need to open my bowels 16 to 22 times a day, I am full of stinging unpleasant mucus, which is just as irritating as poo and has to be dealt with, I have a constant pain like stubbing my toe although in this case my rectum is involved, and in my honest opinion, I have a gaping wide open wound where my anus used to reside, and I bleed and there are 'awkward bits', I am so sorry if this is unpleasant but I have been laid up in agony, having to take codeine daily as they are the only thing that touch the pain, and am in a permanent state of exhaustion and don't know how for the life of me I stay on my feet at all.  I had a ventral mesh retropescy which is major, in my case keyhole surgery but it simply didn't help hardly at all.  I also strain the living daylights out of myself on the loo every fifteen minutes round the clock for four years now and don't know why I don't give up altogether.  Such is the pain and the ordeal I go through.

On the plus side I have my poetry and photography and art hobbies which I self manage as best I can and use of a mobile and a laptop at which I'm fairly proficient, good friends and family but what do i do?  I suspect an ulcer or even cancer, such is the extremities of what I have been going through especially lately and the medics are quite frankly drawing a blank, I want an ultrasound but keep being told one is not appropriate for bowel conditions, does anyone know if this is right as I have had colonoscopy, sigmoid and FOUR proctograms and cant take the pain and unpleasantness of them and would have thought an ultrasound would be my right by now, after four years of largely inconclusive tests on the more conventional side, please help someone.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fiona,

I would think the big issue with ultrasound, colonoscopy as well as virtual colonoscopy is the "prep" needed and without a doubt would exacerbate your condition.Know well with the number and type of movements, healing is hampered big time.

Have any of your physicians suggested either liquid hydrocortisone enemas and/or rectal hydrocortisone foam.?

Claudio

• Posted

Hi, i don't know about prep but if one needs these tests to ascertain if you have an ulcer or cancer then I feel they are necessary, my concern is why they are not being made available to me as i am really ill and really worried, it is not on a whim as it were.

As for hydrocortisone foam I will ask about it, but as a rule I do not respond well to enemas of any kind and had them before and found they aggravated my condition greatly, thank you for your response.

• Posted

Fiona,

The foam enema ought not to give you a problem provided you haven't a reaction to cortizone.

My Guess,for not approving the Endoscopic Ultrasound may be related to cost? In the US during the year 2002 $13,811 and was considered the "most cost effective" over CT etc...

Claudio

• Posted

Basically I had an enema and went 25 times, so more than usual and they did make me very I'll, so I won't be trying them again as I have a very negative reaction, I do know my own body and I do not react well to enemas. Regarding having an ultrasound, medicine, treatment etc should not be based on cost but on need and as I say I suspect cancer or a rectal ulcer so they should be made available to me under the circumstances. As for aggravating my condition, I think that is very unlikely, any radiation etc with these things is always extremely marginal.
    • Posted

I'll try again....the ultrasound....." is more cost effective than other methods" such as CT...ultrasounds as you know don't use radiation. being that is is far "less" costly than CT and other similar procedures, why deny?

Maybe get admitted to an ER in order to get it done?? ...I couldn't deal with this for 4 hours let alone 4 years..

Claudio

• Posted

I don't know what an ER is or how you would go about being allowed to be admitted
    • Posted

Fiona,

I am in the US, and here we merely show up at the ER (Emergency Room) at any Hospital. In Canada my niece goes routinely "if" she feels she cannot wait for a dr appointment which she says is always 2 to 4 weeks waiting period.

We have many "illegal immigrants" in my local area, and the only way they obtain medical treatment is thru the ER...the ER at US Hospitals is to TREAT, STABALIZE

• Posted

Hi, while I appreciate the tip, over here the A&E departments are so packed out with delays of over four hours on a good day they would just laugh at you and send you away if you turned up asking for an ultrasound, trust me
    • Posted

sorry,about not completing previous msg...again Diagnose, Stabilize, and Release...Treat" or treatment is only in the course to stabilize....And in your case, depending on your "complaint" of excessive pain, they would need to Diagnose...to determine the "cause" of your complaint.

That's my understanding...my daughter in law an RN in the ER recently died of breast cancer so I cannot "re confirm" the above but I'm at least 90% certain.

hope you can get it done...Claudio

• Posted

Hi again, over here we have Pain management clinics, which may be more able to help me, I am currently booked in but there are long waiting lists even then hence my still waiting for an appointment currently and I am pending an April app with the hospital consultant, which gives you some indication of just how long waiting lists are currently and naturally I will quiz the GPs opinion that ultrasounds are not used for bowel problems as I do feel she is fobbing me off, especially having seen people on this site say they've had ultrasounds for the same type of complaint, thanks once again for your response
    • Posted

Ha, with your issues Fiona, I would go in KICKING AND SCREEMING just crying...... "stop this pain".

No way would I suggest at an er what to do...would need to practice my "acting" skills some.....know well within an ER the priority is not first come first serve but "condition".....Claudio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.