Fractured ankle and broken fibia 1 Jan 2016

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 65 years old and I slipped off the curb edge on New Year's Day (brilliant start to new year).  Accident and Emergency confirmed I had broken my right ankle and my fibia just below the knee. They put a back slab on at first ankle to knee and then when they realised my fibia was broken as well they extended it to my thigh.  I was told to go home and rest and an appointment  for the fracture clinic for 8 Jan ( Friday gone). After waiting around for 5 1/2 hrs I was told that my ankle needs surgery and they put me another backs lab on but only to my knee.  They didn't seem much bothered about the break in my fibia?  I was then told to go home and someone would ring me within the next few days to let me know when my op will be. ( between 7 and 10 days)  I am now in worse pain than I was before and I am resting in bed with my leg elevated as instructed even though the swelling has dramatically reduced. I do however get an awful painful feeling like pressure in my ankle when I use my crutches to go to the loo.  I didn't get this before they fitted the new back slab.  I am wondering if this is normal.  I also have been told that I am at risk of ddvt so therefore have to inject myself every day in my stomach to help to thin my blood to try and avoid a Dvt. In short Whilst writing this I don't know when my op will be and have already Ben laid up here for 9 days. Hopefully sooner rather than later as I don't want the break/s to start healing and have to have them broken again for surgery.  Just feeling a little out of my depth.  Has anyone else got or had this awful painful feeling of pressure when they put their leg down after having it elevated.?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone not sure how to update original post so am putting it here.  Came in to hospital on wed 13 Jan for op elected for spinal block to stay awake so much pain afterwards 5 lots of morphine didn't touch it. Thursday morning told they need to operate again wasn't done properly - brilliant - elected for spinal block again.  Again lots of pain but controlled with morphine.  Today sat and am pain free and going home. Still not weight bearing for at least two weeks.   However the spinal block was great no after effects like I usually get from anesthetic And could speak to surgeon whist he was doing procedure.
    • Posted

Hi Mary.

I pleased that you ave had the ops and are pain free, you have definitely had a rough time this year.

I hope that now once you get home you can start to recover.

It appears from what you are saying that you may recover from your injury quite quickly, as I was a month before I could pwb compared with your two weeks. 

My physio wasn't started quick enough in my opinion, and 30 mins per week is not long enough or intense enough.

As I have previously mentioned, it is the swelling that I am having issues with having done all the recommended exercises, icing, heat, massaging,compression bandages etc.

Its a waiting game unfortunately but staying positive is key to recovery.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you 

• Posted

Hi Paul  

Thanks for your kind words. I am at home now with total bed rest other than loo as still nwb for at least two more weeks (already done two) then back to fracture clinic for update and hopefully appointment/s for physio - fingers crossed .   I am staying positive now more so since the pain has eased.  Hope your recovery progresses quickly.  Best wishes 

• Posted

Well guys and girls 5 weeks nwb and counting - been to hospital today and told at least another 4 weeks in cast nwb.  So it looks like still wheelchair bound and hopping around on good foot for a while yet.  Hope I don't forget how to walk on two feet lol.  Trying to keep positive and upbeat.  
    • Posted

Hi Mary,

Has it been 5 weeks since surgery?  I'm glad you're trying to be upbeat.  It will be over before you know it.  Do you have some type of project to work on?  I took up crocheting and made 4 baby blankets, waiting for my first grandchild.  No signs of them yet.  I know what you're going through.  Wishing you the best!  Linda

• Posted

Good evening Marys2250. It's a long journey but you are approx half way, so the worst of the journey is over. I'm 18 weeks and gone from wheelchair to two crutches, to one crutch to no crutch and back driving and working. I'm still having physio every three weeks, but still ankle is stiff and squatting is hard, swelling after 10 hours at work is bad but getting better, each night I bathe my feet in warm water then massage it and put an elasticated bandage on which reduces the swelling. I thought I would never walk again, I just need to get more mobility into this ankle as I still walk with a bad limp. Trying to be positive is really hard but you will get there with the help and support of other ankle bitters on this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.