Freaking out!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a wedding to go to in a few weeks in NJ with my boyfriend and I am literally freaking out!!!! Sorry in advance for the long post I just want everyone to understand the background before they can give me any sort of advice.

*Background : I suffer from panic disorder. I was afraid to leave my house at one point. I was doing CBT and my therapist suggested I go on Zoloft. I was on Zoloft for 2 years and it was a miracle drug for me. I did things I never thought I could aka traveling to PA and Upstate NY (I live in Brooklyn, NY). Althought I had the help of Xanax also. I get so much anxiety when traveling, I take a Xanax and I feel nothing. BUT the last time I took a xanax I got very sick and ended up sitting in 711 bathroom for hours. (I didnt eat anything before taking it idk if that has anything to do with it). Now I'm all freaky about taking it again. I don't want to get sick from it again.

Anyway- My doctor weaned me off of Zoloft, I was at 25 mg then went down to 12.5 then I stopped. It was over a month of tappering. I went into withdrawal. I was sick as a dog. I couldn't leave my house again due to  my out of control anxiety. Back to square 1. I went back on Zoloft and I have been on for a month now, finally the side effects have subsided. I feel much better. However, I do get a little panicky from time to time. My doctor suggested increasing half a dose to make it 37.5 as opposed to the 25 I am taking. I'm afraid. I don't want bad side effects again. The last month has been HELL.*

I am not sure what to do. I know my boyfriend is going to to p*ssed if I miss this wedding. Well not p*ssed but disapointed because he doesn't really understand my problems but he does try and understand. He's just going to be his encouraging self with his "you've traveled before you can do it again" I appreciate it and all but its not helping me right now.

I am barely able to sit and hang out with my friends at the moment because of my anxiety. The Zoloft is working but I do think I need to go up half a dose as the doctor suggested. BUT if I do that- I probably will miss the wedding due to side effects (all I want to do is sleep). I am JUST getting close to my normal life again I really don't want to take steps back again with increasing my dose.

What do I do?!

Please. Any advice is appreciated!!!!

Btw sometimes idk if I would be able to get by if it wasn't for this forum.

People helped me through my withdrawal and my start up side effects.

It is so comforting having people I can go to who understand what I'm going through. <3 !>

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi alyss. Why do you think the xanax caused your stomach issue if it never did before. I take the generic version. Never had a stomach problem and I take it daily. I would think if it was a side affect for you it would have happened from the start. Im not premoteing it,but if you just take it occasionally it wouldnt hurt to try it again before the wedding. You could try half a dose and see how you feel?What dose were you on? Xx
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I have a slight case of IBS. So I'm thinking the stomach issue was because with anxiety, comes stomach issues. I actually had to take half of a 25 mg xanax (generic) last night the dose I used to take in the past. My panic was so bad and for no reason. It hasnt been that bad since about a month ago when I was starting back on Zoloft. I upped my dose on Zoloft last night also as recommended by my doctor because clearly the 25 mg Zoloft is not working anymore.
    • Posted

Half of a 0.25 is basically nothing. When i first went on the med i told him i couldnt feel anything with 0.25. This is his quote not mine. I started you out on an old lady dose. At the time I wasnt an old lady lol getting there now. I am at 0.5 -3 times per day as needed. He thinks I need it lol.
    • Posted

Alot of times they give you the anxiety med and an antidepresant, my son is on both.
    • Posted

Yes they gave me the Xanax just in case I couldn't handle the increased anxiety from the start up of the Zoloft
  • Posted

Imwould try what the doctor recommended. I would say xanax for the day but you have issues with it. It a shame. I winder if it really was the xanax but its now in your head that youll react to it so wouldnt work out. 
    • Posted

I took half of  25 mg and I was fine, no issues with my stomach. It could have just been a coincidence the last time I took it that I got a stomach problem
    • Posted

That good so you can use it. I use half too..025mg  lol.. I metabolize these drugs really slowly, maybe you do too.now you will  be fine at the wedding😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.