Frequent nerve zings on surface of TKR scar

Posted , 8 users are following.

These zings happen with some regularity during the day but at night they wake me and keep me up. I get zinged like every 7-8 seconds. It is not painful but vet irritating. I have tried  rubbing cbd salve on it or diclofenac cream, to no avail. Footer folks have this? Ideas?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

This sounds like a possible nerve issue.  Have you contacted your doctor?  I am 4 months post TKR and have never experienced this.  Good luck getting relief.
  • Posted

This is a nerve problem. Every time that they cut your skin, especially for a TKR they cut through nerves. I used to have them after my surgery, but not as often as you mentioned. You should seek some advice from your doctor. Creams did not help me. As time went by it went away. Good luck. Please keep us posted. 
  • Posted

It's a nerve growing back, they will stop. A tens will help if it's really annoying you.

• Posted

TENS stands for (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation).  Kind of like a "buzzer" on your skin.  There are inexpensive ones with one or two initial sticky pads for around $25 at a local store.  I have a few and they work fine.  You can spend hundreds on a professional unit.

The problem is knowing where to place the pad (s) to intercept the electrical signal causing your problem.  A PT can be helpful with that.

• Posted

Try wrapping the knee in a loose ACE (elastic) bandage or a knee compression sleeve one size larger than you would normally use.  All lot of that is caused by irritation of the scar running against sheets, pajamas, clothing, etc.  Unfortunately, topical anti-inflammatories like Voltaren Gel don't handle nerve pain.  Depending upon how healed your scar is, you might try some OTC AsperCream with 4% Lidocaine around the area to dull the nerve pain.  Docs also have Lidocaine patches that could help.

• Posted

Probably nerves retiring. During surgery nerves can be severed and damaged. As the heal, the have to fire up to work properly. This can happen....go away for awhile and then start up again. Nerves are the slowest parts of the system t o completely rehab. Dr can prescribe a variety of thins, gabepenton and lyrical are 2 of the most predominate.

• Posted

Hi redjanet,

In my mind when this happens I focus on the good it's doing to me, and that the nerves are healing.  So I only look at it as positive pain, irritation.  It will go.  I'm not using anything to stop it - with either cream or tablet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.