Frequent Urination Problems still after 11weeks TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am a 61 year old male from Airdrie, Alberta ,Canada..I had TKR on my left knee 11 weeks ago . I had a tourniquet applied ; had an epidural ; and a general anaesthetic .. The evening after I had my surgery, the nurse had to insert a temporary catheter, because I was not urinating yet. She drained 1100 mls and pulled out the catheter. .  It has been 11 weeks, and I still have problem with frequent urination just after going to bed. I have to get up every 5 to 10 minutes to urinate, for up to 2 hours, before I finally fall asleep. Has anyone else had this problem after TKR ??? All ultrasounds , blood test, and urinalysis came back normal.. This site has been extreely helpful so far.. Thank you in advance fir your feedback and input.. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Darcy,

I definitely p**d more frequently in the first couple of weeks. It was more every time I woke during the night. I put it down to the operation, anaesthetic, the tablets and the general trauma.

But it has been pretty normal in the last 4 or 5 weeks. I am 9 weeks p.o.

Have you seen your doctor?

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hey Darcy.....sorry to hear of your frequent urination problem. I'm 50 and have a similar problem. I've noticed it to be worse after Surgery then before. Not sure if this is due to retaining extra fluids because of being swollen or other reasons. One thing I take is FloMax. It's a Perscription for frequent urination. FloMax has helped me drain my bladder completely every time I go so now I don't go as frequent. You could check with your Dr. and see if would work for you. When your healing, like I am 17 days from surgery, you don't want to be getting up every 1/2 hour to go. Frustrating! Anyway I wish you well my friend and good luck with your situation.
  • Posted

Yup...same thing.  I'm 90 days post-op and the situation is less than before but bothers me sometimes.  I'll let it play itself out for the next few months.  Also, yes...FloMax is a great product for the problem.
  • Posted

Are you increasing your water intake. Sounds like dehydration not allowing you to get a feeling of emptying completely. Opiates not only causes constipation but also creates bladder problems. I would try increasing fluids and if that doesn't do it in a few days get to a urologist. Theres 2 or 3 drugs on the market to relieve the situation. Don't let it go or it could turn into an infection. Also incorporate cranberry juice into your diet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.