Fresh health anxiety... self-induced

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies

I've just had a Mirena coil fitted as part of HRT. Nothing is wrong so far but my stupid anxiety wont let my mind rest. Im convincing myself im going to have terrible adverse reactions... stupid I know! Can anyone reassure me that I will be ok???

Anita

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya Anita,

i totally know where you are coming from as my health anxiety goes off on another planet when my hormones are going through the roof and at that time no matter how many times people tell me I will be fine I just can't seem to believe that I will ok, but when my hormones are behaving themselves I never seem to get so anxious,

So I would like to reassure you that you will be great and try and just keep reminding yourself that you are only feeling anxious because your hormones are being naughty to you. 

Massive hugs to you and I truly feel these health anxiety issues which we are experiencing through these times are so cruel and so alien to most of us! As I keep reading things will get better and we won't feel this way for ever! Even though I know when you are in a blip it feels like you will be in it for ever! Be kind to yourself my lovely!

Joy xxx🌹🌹🍷🍷

• Posted

Hi Anita

I know how awful the health anxiety can be but from what I've read the Mirena coil is very safe and drastically improves some symptoms for many women.

Sometimes you need someone on the outside to give you the nudge to stop worrying... so I would say to you:

1) Remind yourself that your risk of a severe adverse reaction is miniscule.

2)Try to look forward to this coil helping your symptoms - look forward to the likeliest possibility which is that it will not do you any harm and will actually make life easier for you.

3) When I'm having health anxiety (or any other kind of anxiety) and asking myself all the negative "What if?" questions I try to catch myself doing it and suggest an alternative. When you get those fears, Anita, try asking yourself positive questions instead like: "What if everything will be ok?" or  "What if things will actually get better and better?" or even "What if this coil actually transforms my life for me?" Asking these positive questions can make you realise how much your thoughts are automatically catastrophising and reminds you that positive outcomes are often more likely to happen than negative ones.

I have considered having a Mirena fitted too so let us all know how it goes.

Hugs x

• Posted

Thanks for keeping me grounded Ruthie, I know its in my head but convincing myself otherwise is a real battle
  • Posted

I had the Mirena coil for the past 15 yrs, with no adverse effects whatsoever.  The bonus was, no periods once it was fitted.

I'm. 55 now, so when the expiratory date was reached, I had to have it removed, and their policy was not to replace it at my age.  Unfortunately it didn't prevent me with experiencing perimenopausal symptoms.

stop worrying.

Take care 

Viv

• Posted

Thanks Viv. I'm hoping to combine it with oestrogen tablets in the hope that my hormones will balance out a bit and I'll experience less of a roller coaster of emotions.

Anita x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.