Frigidity/lack libido. Wld Mirtazapine help?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone. Am new to this forum but thought I'd join as I my doctor would like to put me on mt.

I have been on citalopram for the past 2 years (20mg), although have been on a/d for most of my adult life (am 37).

Only, my main problem is that I have absolutely NO libido at all, and when making love, my mind responds well, but my body just doesn't follow at all. It's painful even with lots of TLC & KY, and I am left burned, irritated and frustrated.

My husband is patient, but after 10 years of frustration for both of us, I have asked my GP about what can be done and he recommended that I find out about mirtazapine and decide whether or not I want to start taking it instead of citalopram.

No one is discussing lack of libido on this forum and I was wondering if this is just a non existant side-effect on this particular drug?

For all of you who are on it, would you please tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree or if I should give it a go?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Poppy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

it's true we dont talk much about our sex lives on this forum. Sometimes I feel too depressed to have sex. In general terms citalopram can cause anorgasmia in females ie the inabiltiy to have an orgasm or delayed orgasm. I am just speaking from a female point of view. Mirtazapine does not affect your ability to orgasm. What might affect it are of course all number of other things like tiredness and lack of arousal and feelings of depression and worthlessness. I was on seroxat once and experienced this same inability to orgasm. My relationship with seroxat didn't last long! It might be worth giving mirtazapine a try.
  • Posted

I have been on/off anti-d's for 10 years and mirt is the only medication that hasn't affected my ability to have an orgasm-and let's face it being depressed is bad enough without taking that pleasure away! I'v been taking 30 mg for 4 months now and feel much better and optimistic about the future. So if you are going to be taking medication for a long period of time it has to work for you-there needn't necessarily have to be comprimises not in this day and age-so give it a go!!
  • Posted

Mirtazapine is the first anti-depressant I've taken that hasn't affected my ability to climax and that is important believe you me. If you can tolerate the nodding off to sleep during the day, the loss of short term memory (though this disappears after a week or two) and a bit of weight gain then perhaps it could be the help you need. My depression is definately a chemical imbalance and not as a result of what life throws at me. Mirtazapine has been the answer for me and should you decide to try it I wish you well.
  • Posted

Hi ive been on mirt for 3 months now i have experianced a complete lack of interest in sex, its ok once i get started and i do climax, maybe im just not interested any more in sex or it could be the mirt. Who knows.
  • Posted

I've been on Mirt now for approx 6 months, contrary to many reviews it has worked wonders for my mood. I have however, detected a profound decrease in my sex drive. Prior to Mirtazapine i must admit to being pretty sex obsessed (perhaps that was half my problem lol), now i rarely am in the mood for sexual endeavours. I have bouts of craving, but these are few and far between. Another side effect that you should consider is the weight gain, fortunately i have a good metabolism but this still hasn't stopped me putting on about a stone in the past few months. My appetite is ravenous and i find it next to impossible to actually feel full after a large meal, im always left craving more.

However daunting these side effects appear, i would still strongly recommend it on the back of my experience. I had chronic insomnia, permanent melancholy and suicidal thoughts prior to mirtazapine, all of which seem like a distant memory now. The only concern i now have is coming off the drug and the subsequent repurcussions. I surely hope, with the help and advice of my doctors, that i have a problem-free transition off the meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.