from flu to ven

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi its StuR here.

Had a terrible time last week, nearly got sectioned. I was on edge all week, stupidly had a few pints, and thanks to a local constable ended up in cells for my own protection!

Probably the best thing to happen to me. The local mental health team were called in, put me on venlaflaxine and have now visited me several times at home. The new tablets seem to make all the difference, the edge has gone! I have actually laughed for the first time in months!

Has anyone any experience of venlafaxine?

Stu

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes I was on it for a few months in conjunction with trazodone. I'm glad to hear that it's helping you and hope this continues. I was changed from ven onto amitriptyline a few months ago but we are all different - good to know there are so many options out there. Some of us are lucky and find the right drug first time, others have to change a few times before that happens. I am now doing better on amitriptyline than anything else, for which I am grateful.

Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Yes I was on it for a few months in conjunction with trazodone. I'm glad to hear that it's helping you and hope this continues. I was changed from ven onto amitriptyline a few months ago but we are all different - good to know there are so many options out there. Some of us are lucky and find the right drug first time, others have to change a few times before that happens. I am now doing better on amitriptyline than anything else, for which I am grateful.

Take care of yourself.

• Posted

hiya stu :ok:

i was on venlafaxine for over 4 years a couple of years back, anything you want to know, just fire away :mrgreen: one thing that is VERY important stu is to not miss any doses, venlafaxine has a VERY short half life, it's only 24 hours in fact !! :shock: withdrawl can set in after as little as 36 hours on missing a dose :? also take it in the morning as it has stimulant properties too, it can keep you awake if taken at night :huh:

anyhooooos, good luck stu and keep on posting :ok: :mrgreen:

oh and steady on the booze eh ?? :wink: :cheers:

cheers,

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :rainbow: :bubbly:

• Posted

[quote:fbe616975d=\"psychochief\"]hiya stu :ok:

i was on venlafaxine for over 4 years a couple of years back, anything you want to know, just fire away :mrgreen: one thing that is VERY important stu is to not miss any doses, venlafaxine has a VERY short half life, it's only 24 hours in fact !! :shock: withdrawl can set in after as little as 36 hours on missing a dose :? also take it in the morning as it has stimulant properties too, it can keep you awake if taken at night :huh:

anyhooooos, good luck stu and keep on posting :ok: :mrgreen:

oh and steady on the booze eh ?? :wink: :cheers:

cheers,

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :rainbow: :bubbly:[/quote:fbe616975d]

Ken, I've been taking venlafaxine for just over 7 weeks, decided to change the taking of the 75mg daily dose from around 1pm to 10pm (Monday gone). Wrong decision I think - it's taking longer and longer to fall asleep, I seem to be sweating even more profusely, making the following day even crappier than it should be.

The reason I changed taking the daily dosage from 1pm to 10pm was because for the last 2 weeks (of taking the venlafaxine at 1pm), the six hours or so immediately after taking the ven', was becoming the worse time (mentally) of my mental state in the 24 hour period.

This seems rather odd to me. Does/would this seem correct to you - in the sense that, this is the way venlafaxine works. Or, have I in fact already reached a position of no longer needing them?

Many thanks.

Take care,

les.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.