Frustrated

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am pretty new to this IBS. Ben to the Dr and she put me on probiotics and asked to schedule an appt for a colonoscopy. I started suffering with upset stomach, gas and bloating besides diarrhea. It had gotten better for about 4 days and then this morning it started all over. Is this how a flare up acts.

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Yvonne that you're having what appears to be digestive problems.  I've been an on and off IBS sufferer for over 40 years.  The flares come and go for reasons completely unknown to me or my physicians (I can't tell you how many I've seen over the years).  By now I've come to believe that IBS is a catch-phrase for a myriad of conditions and possible illnesses.  You can expect the symptoms you mentioned but then they could be from something you ate or continue to eat.  I have to be careful of  products containing wheat but it seems that each person's symptoms vary so widely that not just one food or even ten can be pinpointed as a trigger.  I find that my worse flares are from too much stress.  No matter what I cut out of my diet or if I don't eat at all, I can have all your symptoms.  Over my adult life, I have changed my diet at least 10 times and yet the flare ups continue in times of an overload of stress. 

I hope the probiotics help (remember to refrigerate them).  You might ask your doc about digestive enzymes.  Hope you feel better soon -- the probiotics might help.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you fod replying. You brought up something I am not looking at. That being stress. About 14 weeks ago I had a botched catetact surgery and and am continuing to have problems. I actually have been worried because I am going Monday to get stitches out of my eye. Ok wow I'm gonna calm down

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This is the pattern of an IBS flare up which stress can trigger.  Maybe going to the doctor and being booked in for a colonoscopy stressed you and set off your symptoms.   Stress always triggers it with me.  Sometimes IBS symptoms can be constant too and can change over time.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi pippa:  Sorry this is a departure from what is being addressed here but I think I saw post where you mentioned a medication you were or are taking that is help you to pass almost normal looking stool.  What are the medications that are avaialbe to us who suffer from IBS C&D?  Thanx.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have IBS C mainly and I treat it with fruit: oranges, grapes or prune juice depending on what I have in my fridge.  In the beginning I took Movicol for just a few days to soften my stools. If you have IBS D, try bananas or rice which bind you up more.  For diarrhoea emergencies, try Imodium.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yvonne

All I can adivise is keep taking the Probiotics and go and have your Colonoscopy, this test can find and correct conditions on the same day or introduce you to a treatment plan

BOB

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up