Frustrated with doctors orders plus other issues with post op, would love some insight!

Posted , 6 users are following.

It'll be five weeks tomorrow since I had a bunionectomy (not sure the exact procedure of the kind I had... He cut my side of my foot, shaved some of the bone and pushed it in) plus fixing my broken second toe by having it cut down the middle and putting a pin in it PLUS having the back of my third toe to straighten it out. The pin is still in my second toe and he said its supposed to come out on its own after 6 weeks? Not sure how that's going to happen when it's still securely under my skin at 5 weeks... 

This seriously has been the worst experience ever... I'll be the first one to admit I'm awful when it comes to pain but I feel like I'm justified right now. And I'm getting extremely frustrated with myself, this healing process and what my doctor is pushing me to do when I feel like it's too soon. 

So I have been really good about not putting weight on my foot, I even got a knee scooter to help. I had my stitches out  two weeks ago (which, I still have these little dissolvable stitch knots at both ends of my scar that are sticking out... Do those just fall off on their own? There's no way I'm pulling them off myself..) and my doctor told me that I needed to start moving my toe up and down so the joint doesn't get frozen. I obviously understand that and have done it every day since he told me to start. However.... Last week when I went to my doctor for my weekly check up, he was telling me that I need to stop using my knee scooter and start using crutches and put weight on my foot. Like almost acting like I should be walking totally fine and normal but with my surgery shoe on... This was also the first time he told me I could shower without my foot being covered and protected from getting wet. He was acting like I was being the most dramatic princess when I was saying he was crazy for saying i should start walking on it and is sending me to a physical therapist. My first appointment for pt is next Monday, not even 6 weeks after my surgery with a pin still in my second toe that isn't going to be staying there...

I have been using crutches now since Friday and barely putting weight on my foot but I feel like I'm really hurting myself in the long run bc I don't think its okay for me to be putting weight on a still swollen and extremely bruised foot that has a pin that's supposed just "come out on its own" in a week. Has anyone else had this issue of not feeling comfortable and having your doctor make you feel like you're behind in healing?? 

Sorry I'm totally ranting on here but I have been reading posts on top of articles on top of everything I can find on the Internet about post op for this surgery but it's not the best to relate to with me having the additional two toes worked on too. Any feedback or similar situations or advice would be more than appreciated!!! Thank you!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm also having a bad time sleeping at night again after being told to put weight on my foot. It's uncomfortable and just has a buzzing feeling around my toes and side of my foot the bone was pushed in... I have been sleeping on the sofa since the surgery since the one time I tried sleeping in bed I couldn't get comfortable at all and kept my husband up all night so I feel bad doing that to him. Any suggestions on what you all have done to sleep better during this? My foot is elevated and icing when I go to sleep but I usually end up waking up in the middle of the night bc of the pain and can't fall back asleep. 
  • Posted

Carly I really feel for you. I started going to physio twice a week for the first 5 weeks and felt he was really mean but in fact really knew what he was doing. He was the one who said to do more weight bearing, after pummeling my foot. Tomorrow I will be 6 weeks post op. I used the crutches from day 2 and still use them when I go outside the house as I am not confident without them. I still have lots of numbness and stiff toes.

I also have 3 screws but I,think they stay in. I can't imagine how,they would come out by themselves...never. 

Do you have a surgical boot?  I still have pain if I overdo it. And reading your PS Imust  say my husband , like a true man, does not do empathy, but he has been sleeping on a mattress on the living room floor since my op. Like if I have to go to the loo at night, I put the light on, strap on my surgical boot, and limp to the bathroom. Imhavent been showering more than twice a week either..it is all too hard . 

So there you go....things will get better.....this forum has been a god send for me...hope you get some support from it too...

• Posted

Hi Carly, firstly I'm sending healing vibes and hope you start feeling better soon. When I had my left foot done with normal  surgery all that time ago I remember the surgeon saying I could walk on my foot without crutches and I thought he was insane! I can't remember how many weeks that was, but in the end I managed a couple of steps across our small kitchen and felt I had climbed Everest. It was difficult and sore, and felt very weak. But by doing a few steps at a time it very quickly sort of "hardened up" and everything got easier. So don't panic, just take it litte bit at a time and you will be surprised how soon you will be walking. Not sure about the pin though, that sounds a bit weird, I would call them again about it.
  • Posted

Hi Carly,

Soo very sorry that you are experiencing lot of pain and discomfort.  If instruction from the medics are not clear or simly contradicting make sure you get all info on everything from the surgeon and don't be afraid to ask and query he or she is responsible for your care and be assertive if you have to you had a fair bit  bit of work done by the sounds of things I asse you taking some pain relief and  anti inflamatories? I had Judy big toe reset and bunion shaved  by the non- voventional minimally invesibe proccess  and it was fairly pain free untill 10 post op and them the pain started and is still here post 3 weeks today I had the other foot done that  was more complex surgery which I never needed any medication for as I had no pain so there we are. I had one cratch to use special shoes and weight bearing  (well when it hurt I don't)

But try and clarify instruction from the surgeon and ask lots of questions because it your foot and you are the one suffering! Hope thins get better very soon and keep us posted of your progress  best wishes Lilian 

• Posted

Thanks all of you for your feedback! It is extremely frustrating not being able to talk to people who don't get it. I can complain or speak my concerns to my family and friends all day long, but since they haven't been through this before then they really don't give me the feedback that I am looking for. 

I just honestly didn't expect it to be THIS awful because I was just told it would be a 4-6 week recovery when realisitcally I am starting physical therapy 2 days before my 6 week mark and it seems like it will be quite a long process once that starts too.. 

I just need to force myself to stay positive, even though its hard right now to. I will definitely keep you all updated on how things progress once I start physical therapy. Thanks again!! It means a lot just to have some helpful advice and caring words to cheer up during this frustration period. 

• Posted

The trouble with medics they never tell you how it's reallley going to be they tend to play it down so we don't really know what to expect however if the were forthcoming with info regarding pain, we probably run a mile Keep your chin up it will pass it's hot to and as the song said what doesn't kill us makes us stronger . X
  • Posted

I am right with you Carly.  I am 5 weeks post op of a Lapidus Procedure and the surgeon wants me to to start walking on it next week with my crutches and start PS too.  My foot is so swollen and it hurts still so bad.  I just can not imagine putting pressure on it.  Ugh
    • Posted

I know! Its so awful.. my foot throbs or has this tingling pain whenever i put some weight on it while wearing my surgical shoe. I hope the physical therapist my doctor is sending me to is a miracle worker because that is what it feels like its going to take right now for me to walk any time soon. Good luck with recovery, and keep me updated on how your PS goes for you! 
    • Posted

Although I at first through my physio was pretty rough, it is all the right stuff. I am 6 weeks post op and got rid off my surgical shoe yesterday. Bought some shoes half a size two big with laces, but smart Rockport. Also bought some sandals from the hiking shop, with elastic but covered toe area. Will start wearing them today. Doc said the new foot needs a shoe that can be loosened off as he foot swells up during the day.   It all gets better....be patient.
    • Posted

That is such a relief to hear. Thank you for the encouragement!! I am just so ready to have this surgical shoe off and finally drive myself again, since my surgery was done on my right foot. My first physio appointment is on Monday, and then again on Wednesday so I will hopefully have updates on improving next week haha. Thanks again!! 
  • Posted

Sure will , we can share our physical therapy stories.  
  • Posted

Hi Carly, I had just the same as you: the bunion, pin in second toe, tirth toe straightend. I am now day 7.  I walked on the booth from day 2, first days with crutches and now downstairs without . With the shoe you put only weight on your heel. I use the crutches for the stairs and to go outside. The surgeon told me after the surgery to start moving toes and ankle.So I did, first 3 days toes didn't really moved, but now they are moving.The pin stays in for 6 weeks, after the 6 weeks he throws it out. 3 years ago I had a pin in another toe and the remove of the pin didn't hurt at all, after the six weeks it came loose and he could take it out easily. You can walk with the pin in your foot without any problem, I did so 3 years ago and it healed very well. Don't be afraid, everything comes fine.

I had no pain, thanks to the ibuprfen and paracetamol, and for me it was a scarf-atkin osteotomy. Now I am taking 2 ibuprofen a day, but tomrrow I try without.

• Posted

You are definitely stronger than I am haha. I just think it is a mind over matter situation with me. I have just been so nervous to break a wound open or do more damage to my foot and now that the wounds are healing up nicely, I am going to have a lot more work to do to get me walking on my own. That definitely makes me feel better though about you telling me how you had the same exact surgery and how well you have been doing. Gives me that extra push that I need to not be so scared about pushing myself to get where I need to be. I appreciate your feedback a bunch! I hope you have a great recovery continuing on over the next few weeks. Keep me updated!! 
  • Posted

It's all about what the doctor told before surgery. He told me before that I could weight bear from day 2 on, so I was confident doing it ok.

I am living in Belgium and weight bearing, soon after the op, depends of the procedure and the surgeon. For me that was a very important argument to choose my surgeon.

About sleeping: i think we are not tired enough for a good sleep. Normaly we have a buzy live and now it's quiet, resting with our foot elevated. Some nights I stand up, reading or watching the tele for an hour and back to my bed for the rest of the night.

• Posted

Hello there- I had bunion surgery 5 months ago on my left foot and I just had my right foot done 2 days ago.  When I was 6 weeks in on my left foot, I was putting weight on it and by the 8th week I wasn't using crutches anymore. My foot is still healing but now I am just focusing on the one I just did 2 days ago and my advice is to do what the doctor says and it will take some time to fully heal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.