Frustrated with dr. Not sure how to proceed.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm very frustrated. I heard back from my dr today and she said I very well could have hypothyroidism but she is not going to check my antibodies. (I had a post earlier saying that my TSH Levels went from 1.9 to 3.255 in less than two years). She said she would just check my thyroid every 6-12 months and if it gets low enough she would put me on something for it. I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm exhausted, foggy headed all the time and I get confused, amongst other things. Please tell me what you would do from here. I feel like I'm just supposed to live like this now and it makes me feel hopeless.

sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor is obviously one of those who has no clue about this condition.  Demand to see an endocrinologist. The change in your TSH is enough to implicate the thyroid. Also be aware that Amino acid pills available without prescription are strongly advocated by some sufferers, are are a natural thyroid product called Thyrogold.
    • Posted

Dave is correct, I've gotten more relief from amino acid therapy and diet than any meds. My mother takes ThyroGold after a lifetime of suffering from thyroid disease. I opted against meds and am sticking with aminos and other supplements. Many others have found the ThyroGold extremely helpful as an over the counter thyroid hormone replacement supplement.

• Posted

Hi Sunnyday. First, you aren't crazy, you're dealing with thyroid disease and the standard medical protocol. Standard medical treatment is to look at TSH levels and do nothing until TSH is to a certain level of illness. There is no preventative action taken in standard medical treatment of hypothyroidism. 

To deal, you have a couple choices: 1) find a doctor who is more progressive, 2) take back your power and deal with the autoimmune disease that causes thyroid disease. Personally, I tried both, gave up on #1 after trying for years, and opted for #2. In all my years of thyroid disease, I found two doctors who were knowledgeable enough to work with. The rest didn't even know what tests to run, or didn't bother, I don't know. I tried every sort of doctor possible, even spent a fortune going to "the guy" who's supposed to have the answers. At best, I got temporary relief from the meds, and really, wound up unable to get out of bed for months due to complications related to the side effects from the medications. For me, it's been going on for decades. I've tried pretty much every trend, a variety of meds, dietary changes, a gizillion supplements, and I've read everything I could on thyroid disease, including thousands of posts from others like yourself.  I tell you my story, so you have a perspective of the possible outcomes of your choices. You already have the sense that thyroid idea ease. Is very serious, that's good because the sooner you take action, and find what works for you, the better.

My point is, save yourself the trouble, take back your power, use the myriad of information available to you at your fingertips and find some alternative solutions to prevent worsening of your thyroid disease and to reverse it. There are so many diet, supplement, and other changes you can make to help yourself. And there are many people who are dealing with exactly what you're experiencing. 

Of the posts I've read on thyroid disease, more than half are concerns of difficulty getting a diagnosis. The rest are questions on dosing meds, side effects and alternative treatments once people have exhausted all medical options. The difficulty with thyroid disease is the brainfog prevents us from being able to evaluate our health easily. Best to keep a light or diary when trying thing out, so you can refer back to see your progress while trying different things. If you run across something interesting in your research, write it down, as it nay be useful later, or you may want to try later, as you eliminate things that do and don't help.

To start, thyroid disease has common symptoms with many vitamin and mineral deficiencies, so a good quality multivitamin and mineral supplement can be very helpful. For example, if you compare hypothyroid symptoms with magnesium deficiency, you see a nearly identical list of symptoms. So eliminating deficiencies is an easy way to start to improve your health.

Hope that gives some ideas for direction.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.