FSH levels

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my test of FSH done in 2015 Jan. It read 77.8 can anyone tell me what that means and does it fall lower as we go along through menpause?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Our brain pushes off FSH (follicule stimulating hormone) to tell the ovaries it needs to made estrogen.  In our young life, just a small amount of FSH is necessary to stimulate our ovaries.  When we get older, our eggs in the ovaries are getting older and slugggish, so it takes more and more FSH to get eggs to respond.  Therefore, our FSH goes up.  It starts yelling louder and louder at our ovaries.  

Please look at your lab report for the ranges that are normal.  This should be listed under your result.  Any FSH # at 78 definately saying that your ovaries are not responding, and your brain is all upset pushng out more and more FSH.  

Usually FSH does stay high in menopause, however some women's FSH will just  completely burn out.  Meaning that they just don't produce FSH later in life.  The brain simply stops producing it.  

With your number, surely you haven't had periods in awhile.  

• Posted

Thank you for the info.no periods because of a partial hysterectomy years ago, that's why I have no clue when I started meno and when I'll end sure having all symptoms there are, even the BMS. Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.