fundoplication surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I'm new and this is my first post.

I am due to go into hospital on Monday for the fundoplication surgery and I am getting very nervous and scared of what could happen.

I am healthy and fit at the moment so hoping I will bounce back quickly after the surgery, I have been checking out Google a lot on this so have an idea of what to expect (I think)

I was just looking to see if anyone has had the surgery in the past few weeks and can give me some help or advice.

Thanks

Kay

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had the fundoplication surgery in 2008. It was the ebst thing I ever did.

You may read my account in the blog I put on my personal website if you go to www ChrisRob co uk where you'll find it as item no 7 on the Barrett's page.

The operation took about an hour and a half and, I know I have a high pain threshold but I needed nothing more than a couple of soluble paracetamol for the bruising feeling when the senses returned. Some people feel a pain under their shoulder blades (resulting from their abdomen having been pumped full of air during surgery). I went home the next day. And I no longer needed to take acid suppressants.

For the first few weeks you will need soft foods and you'll feel full quickly. You'll typically lose 20 pounds in weight. And I recommend gentle exercise walking short distances building up to walkinground the block. No heavy lifting or anything strenuous.

Unfortunately my wrap came loose in 2013 after 5 hours violent retching from norovirus. In 2014, I had a Collis-Nissen revision which is more permanent, a bit more major operation and, although I felt able to go home the next day, they kept me in for an extra night.

All the best for Monday and the weeks of recovery - which soon pass.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

That sounds really positive I hope I can cope the same. I've had my gallbladder removed and I was fine after that you have put my mind at ease.

Thanks

• Posted

I am seriously considering having the fundoplication surgery myself, will discuss it with my consultant when I have my next endoscopy. Can you please let us know how it goes Kay? Wishing you all the best for Monday.
    • Posted

HI

Just to let you know that I was unable to get the surgery as I have a cough at the moment the surgeon was not happy at doing it incase my stitches came undone when I coughed.

• Posted

Oh no Kay. Sorry to hear that I bet you just want to get it done now? Any idea as to when it's rescheduled for?
    • Posted

I've asked to wait until after July now as we are going on holiday to Florida and want to be in the best health possible. It's a big disappointment but for the best.
    • Posted

Yes of course it is for the best. At least you will be able to enjoy your holiday! Keep me updated if that's ok, at this rate we might be geating it done at the same time.
  • Posted

Hi Kay

I'm 63 and had the nissen just over 2 years ago and it sorted everything out.  My recovery was absolutely fine.  I no longer take any meds.  Best of luck. 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up