Fybro gel and sickness ??

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all .... Got a definite diagnosis of diverticula yesterday and Dr agreed I had had a flare up of divertiticulitis.

He told me to take fybro gel in the morning , eat porridge for breakfast instead of fruit and yoghurt and then go wheat free for two weeks and then dairy free for two weeks .

I have had fybro gel sachet this morning along with a milky porridge. I have now been really sick and nauseous.

Is this the fybro gel do u think ?? Anybody else been ill or is my intolerance actually dairy ?? I have felt a bit funny when I have had milk during my flare up so unsure !

Any advice or help would be hugely appreciated xxxx

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

sounds like you could have a lactose or milk protein intolerance.  Try making your porridge with soy milk or lactose free milk. I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance and had the same symptoms.
    • Posted

Ah right thank you Sunni .... I think I might do this then . Now being a real thicko .... What is the difference between going dairy free or/and lactose free? Thanks x
    • Posted

you can get lactose free cow's milk.  Still regular milk just without the lactose.  if you're still getting the nausea it could be a milk protein intolerance.  I can't drink a glass of regular cow's milk but I can eat hard white cheese in small amounts  I also eat probiotic yougurt.  Soy, almond, and coconut milk is non dairy because it comes from seeds and nuts. So no lactose or milk protein.  It's just a game of elimination unfortunately. 
    • Posted

Thanks Sunni .... I so appreciate all your help xxx I will just have to peservere !! Thank you xxx
  • Posted

It could be an intolerance as Sunni pointed out. Also when I took Fybogel it was a fruity orange flavour which could have had a curdling action with the porridge/milk. It is a slow process of elimination. On the advice of  GP I take isphagula husk daily as a fibre supplement which works out much cheaper than Fybogel and does same job.

I also eat some hard cheese and probiotic yoghurt but no milk. Almond and soya "milk" are great substitutes.

i wish you well

regards

Pete

• Posted

Hi Pete

Thanks v much for your reply . Feel so sick again now .... Keep tasting that fybro gel so sure it's that ! However have bought some soya milk do going to try that . Had some onions at lunch time and wondering if they are disagreeing with me too !!! My head is a complete shed with it all ! Thanks for your reply xx

• Posted

Hi,

My doctor prescribes Fybogel; two sachets a day; orange flavour. The secret is to drink it FAST...... I like to mix it with fizzy diet cream soda or lemonade as it makes it taste a bit better; I don't put much liquid with it then have a bigger drink of water afterwards to wash it down. When I was really inflamed I had to cut it to half a sachet night and morning as I was getting what felt like bloat....the GP said to half it as one sachet is like eating a bag of sprouts and can make you very windy if taken all at once. It is all a matter of trial and error I'm afraid.

• Posted

Just read some of your comments. I have been told not to eat onion as it contains someting that does not help with Diverticulitis disease. This has also been said for garlic, cauliflower and broccoli. I still have these think but in very small amounts. Again process of ilimination
    • Posted

I guess the onion; broccoli, garlic thing is the wind factor elements like sprouts; and this will cause pain within hours for some people as a result of the wind effect rather than an infection......if onions did this for me I may as well go onto a liquid diet forever as onions are in many of my meals and so far I have been OK with them. We all get such different responses to this illness don't we?
  • Posted

Is Fybogel a fibre supplement? because it sounds like the same thing we have here in Newfoundland but our brand is Metamusil.  Also orange flavored. Once you mix it up it goes to a gel in like 1/2 a minute.  I always chase it with another glass of water.

I take it not only for the fibre but to help lower my cholesterol. 

• Posted

Hi sunni

yes sounds exactly the same

regards

Pete

• Posted

Yup, that is it; goes like wall paper paste!!! Yuk...drink it fast. I have never been told about onions; cauliflower or broccoli - the garlic effect of awful pain within hours I found out the hard way!!
  • Posted

Ooh I did wonder if onions were effecting me and garlic.  Having a very bland diet this week all wheat free.

i did not have my fybrogel this morning and feel fine....yippee.  And had a bm!

trying soya milk too and again don't feel sick.  I have a question about cigarettes and if that makes it worse but will put on a separate post.  Thanks guys? X

• Posted

Believe it or not but to some people onions are very toxic. Whilst they have been know n to be wonderful in helping people in one way or another for us with bowel problems and because we have bad ensimes in us they are not good. Onions contain a sulpur compound called allium.I also love onions and think they give a lot of taste to different foods but for us the key would be moderation. If you can tollerate them, that's fantastic, but as we have all said before, all of us are different but at the end of the day I'm sure we would all try anything to stay reasonably health and out of pain and above all out of hospital. I am omly aware of these food by choosing to go to a dietician to help me with my situation. For all of us beening healty and pain free is all we can ask for. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.