FYI for our Fibro fog...it certainly has helped me.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Porridge

Kicking your day off right is crucial for maintaining energy and mental performance. Studies show that those who eat breakfast every day are less at risk of developing obesity, hypertension and diabetes. Porridge is low in calories and a great source of soluble fibre, keeping you full for longer. Serve with plain yoghurt, honey and berries for a well-rounded meal.

Eggs

Egg yolks have often taken a bad rap on the cholesterol front, but they’re a rich source of omega-3 and choline, a compound that can help maintain healthy brain membranes. The full health benefits of eggs are best realised if they’re stored properly, i.e. in the fridge, and cooked thoroughly to kill any potential bacteria.

Bananas

If you’re looking for a mid-morning snack, look no further than a banana. Bananas contain a high sugar content and a lot of potassium, which is an essential mineral that aids concentration and keeps your brain, nerves and heart in good shape.

Blueberries

Blueberries are said to be a memory-booster and may help protect the brain from the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. Blueberries are also rich in antioxidants, and are low in sugar. 

Spinach

Dark leafy greens are full of antioxidants and carotenoids, which boost brain power and help to protect your brain. The B vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids in spinach are proven to enhance memory, focus and overall brain health.

Salmon

Omega-3 fatty fish is lauded for its brain-enhancing properties. Salmon is a concentrated source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help rebuild brain cells. Diets high in fatty acids have been linked to slower cognitive decline and a lower risk of stroke. The protein in salmon contains essential amino acids that are vital for maintaining brain focus.

Beetroot

A lesser-known memory-boosting food, beetroot has been attributed with promoting better memory, concentration and overall increased cognition. Beetroot contains nitrates, which can dilate the blood vessels and allow for increased blood flow and oxygen to the brain, improving concentration.

Dark chocolate

Your brain’s preferred fuel source is glucose, which it can get from the sugars and carbs that you eat. A burst of something sweet, such as dark chocolate, provides your brain with caffeine to boost alertness. Dark chocolate is lower in fat and refined sugar than milk chocolate. It also boosts the brain’s serotonin and endorphin levels, supporting better concentration.

Green tea

Before you reach for the coffee, consider the benefits of a cup of green tea. Green tea contains a high concentration of antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body. It also contains a high amount of caffeine, which is released slowly into your body – unlike coffee – allowing for prolonged concentration.

Water

As thirst and dehydration can cause fatigue, sometimes water is all you really need. Drinks containing caffeine will only dehydrate you further, so remember to keep reaching for the H2O regularly throughout the day.

5 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Christine

I have everything on your list, except chocolate..I can't stand the taste, and will admit I have no sweet tooth at all..

• Posted

I haven't got a sweet tooth either, but I don't eat processed chocolate anyway...I use powdered cacao and coconut oil to make my own and I make soft centre too out of almond butter and flavoured cashew butter  flavoured with organic flavours like peppermint or strawberry...really only make them at Christmas time fir others...apart from the porridge I eat all that too, isn't it nice to know your doing something good fir your body..be blessed Anne..have a lovely day:-) xxx
  • Posted

Thanks Christine for all the ideas. SInce I have started my medicine I have this taste/feeling of nasua . Everything tast the same. I drink exssessively but it seems not to be a problem . FOr that matter my heart rate is typically the beat of an unborn fetus with me staying put and not excerting my self. I have to say that the only thing I do taste and even crave is chocolate. The rest makes me want to puke between the smell, the look of it. Now my husband will force me to take a bite or two and then it's a 50/50 if I can eat more due to my stomach. The RA said it was good because I lost 10 pounds.
    • Posted

O' poor you, about 13 yrs ago ..I could not look at food, let alone eat any..hubby would make me amazing meals but I just could not eat..I lost 15 kilos...I had terrible temps...very sore.(thought I was dying) .but doc said there was no infection orobably a virus and I just had to see it out...mm...it did end up going away, but it was over 2 months of hardly any food..like you I drunk a lot of water are very very little food. ..hot one day freezing the next..the doc never ever told me what it was either...I do get hot and cold still but that's just the Fibro..do hope your feeling well enough to eat something really soon....'d', be blessed and have a lovely weekend..:-) xxx 

• Posted

Hi Christine. I eat everything on your list apart from porridge and bananas.

I have never liked bananas and porridge I hate anything that goes soggy, it makes me feel really sick.

But as others have said maybe if we didn't eat these things the fog would be much worse than it is.

Take care and gentle hugs.

• Posted

Great advice Christine.  All of these foods are well known in their benefits.  I am trying to convince a friend to look at chocolate differently.  High cocoa solid unsweetened and unadulterated chocolate has been known for centuries to be beneficial.  The mayans revered it and quite rightly.  There are a lot of hidden benefits too - for example its good for the teeth!  My mother wasn't an intellectual, had no formal knowledge of nutrition etc., and we were dirt poor but she insisted I eat porridge every day, winter and summer.  She lived to a ripe old age and never had OA or heart problems during her life so she must have got something right.  Totally agree with the comments regarding water - so many health problems are caused by dehydration and consuming enough water is a very simple and easy step to better health.
    • Posted

Yes tooo many people don't realise how important hydrating is...:-) xxwink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.