Gabapentin

Posted , 6 users are following.

Saw new psychiatrist today and this is what was prescribed to me twice a day. I looked this up and forgive me if I'm wrong but why would someone take this for anxiety? It's anti seizure medication. I don't have seizures and I'm not trying to take something that could have adverse effect and cause me to start having them. Has anyone taken this for anxiety?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Gabapentin is often prescribed to people with anxiety and depression or anxiety and another mood disorder like bipolar. If you're just suffering from anxiety it is weird to be prescribed gabapentin unless you're also suffering from chronic pain or something. My boyfriend suffered from both anxiety and depression and he said gabapentin was very helpful in his recovery.

• Posted

I have anxiety and depression mainly anxiety at the moment my depression comes and goes. But last month's when it hits. Did it help your boyfriend's anxiety long term? I'm thinking of trying this I just want relief and to feel normal again.

• Posted

It made a big difference for him. He was suicidal at the time and was very anxious. With gabapentin he was able to quit his job that he hated and caused him anxiety and then he took a break from school to go to therapy and work on himself. He was on another drug as well for depression but I can't remember what it was called. i think its worth trying. I'm thinking about going on an anti anxiety as well since my anxiety has been out of control lately.

• Posted

I have never heard of it being used for anxiety, never in my life. I'd check with him first, that sounds wrong

• Posted

I've never heard of it either it was a new psychiatrist I saw today prescribed it.im suppose to pick it up at pharmacy tomorrow I'm alittle scared to try this. I've tried so many some no effect others made things worse. I just don't want to have adverse effects and start having seizures

• Posted

They are using it off the label for anxiety disorders. These doctors are pulling all different meds from different areas for anxiety disorders these days. Seizure meds have been used for people with anxiety..klonopin was initially a seizure med. nuerontin (gabaoentin) relaxes muscles and nerves, i think its even an anagelsic  i have heard of this. I only know one oerson who used it and she liked it a lot. She was dizzy a lot with anxiety and thats what they gave her. Doc told her he had heard good results with it. Shes the only one i know of who was given that.
    • Posted

It can be used as anti seizure or for nerve pain. You are being given it however for anxiety, which it simply is not designed to treat, and hasn't been studied for that use. I'd refuse to take it and see a different psychiatrist

• Posted

Loads of people are on it now for anxiety. It's really helping them.

• Posted

Yup gabapentin is as Lisa described. It's for epilepsy, however, they aren't sure exactly how the drug works but they have seen it work really well with people who suffer from anxiety. You won't get seizures from using it. The psychiatrist knows what they're talking about. I should have said this before but I'm in school for clinical psychology so I understand how anti anxiety drugs work and have looked into gabapentin. Side affects don't look bad at all. You can always try something else if this isn't for you but again the psychiatrist knows best.

• Posted

Hi, really good information from you.

similar situation but given peegabalin and wondering whether to,take it for anxiey or ask for gabapentin

also on low dose mirtazapine

• Posted

Thank you I'll try it if it doesn't make me start having seizures that's the part that scares me.

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

I took it for a while and thought it was very helpful.

Please don't worry about seizures. It's designed to stop seizures, not give you them!

Good luck. Tell us how it goes.

• Posted

Thank you for replying what side effects did you have with taking this?
    • Posted

Same as you, prescribed pregabalin which is similar. Took it one night and felt so ill next day. Wont touch it again
    • Posted

Hi again Pamela, I had no side-effects at all on gabapentin. Not one. Pregabalin is slightly different - I can see that Ann wrote she felt ill when taking it.

Have a try. I was glad I did. it really helped me and I felt fine, honestly.

Love Tess  xx

• Posted

Thank you I did pick it up from the pharmacy and I'll give it a try

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.