Gabapentin and Fluoxetine

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was prescribed Citalopram for hot flushes. No side effects (or so I thought) and worked a dream. And I never felt depressed! Then I developed stress incontinence which I put down to a weak pelvic floor due to difficult child birth years before. But after researching I discovered that Citalopram can cause stress incontinence, so my GP prescribed Gabapentin instead. Hot flushes were kept at bay, but fingers started swelling so again did some research to find that Gabapentin can cause peripheral swelling (among many other nasty side effects), so have started weaning myself off them. Recently (not for the first time over many years) I have found myself deeply depressed. Upset stomach every morning, no interest in my home or my hobbies, can't be bothered with anything and difficulty concentrating. Wake up with a feeling of incredible sadness and tearful a lot of the time. I am seeing my GP the day after tomorrow and will be asking for Fluoxetine which is in the same group of drugs as Citalopram but less likely to cause the stress incontinence. It is prescribed for depression. What I am can not find by researching is whether I would be able to take Fluoxetine while I am weaning myself off Gabapentin (400 mgs three times a day) and if I can what are the possible side effects. Really hoping someone can help me out.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

In my experience, I was much better off seeing a psycharist then a gp. They know more about the meds. 

Sorry, I don’t know anything about Gabapentin. 

It does sound as if you have depression

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.