Gaberpentin usage

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been taking Gaberpentin for a year, and the pain smyptoms of nerve pain down the leg from a herniated disk in back. Wonder about increasing the dosage to manage the pain. dr says the goal is to reach taking about 1200 milagrams a day. Has anyone else had sucess with increasing dosage to manage pain?....Will

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi William, it certainly sounds like you need to increase your Gabapentin, I'm on 1800 plus Tramadol. To be honest even these raised amounts of both drugs don't keep the pain away, it just dulls it so at least I can get on with my day.
    • Posted

Thanx DizzyDora,....I have a high threshold for pain, but, I still need to workout, which further increases the pain. Hoping that surgery again is not needed. But, if I still want to be active, (age 60) it may be nessasary.
  • Posted

Hi William, 

I've been on gabapentin for many years, I currently take 2400 per day together with tramadol & citalopram, following decompression surgery for Chiari malformation. I was advised to increase my dose of gabapentin but unfortunately it doesn't take all the pain away, just keeps it at a level that I can cope with.

I hope you get some relief from the pain.

Take care xx 

• Posted

thanx kimberlee 90115, I am considering having the steriod injections to diagnois where the compression is occuring. Mt two MRI's have shown some herniation, but, not enough for the spine doctor to consider surgery again. Hoping that the injections will bring some releif. Don't really like taking anything for pain, and am still at a level where I can continue to work out, and function as needed.  Will
  • Posted

Hi again William, yes I too have a high pain threshold but I just wonder if doing a little less exercising might help a little. There's nothing wrong with exercising but it depends on the type and the amount. If are excerising too much it can make your Chiari symptoms worse.
  • Posted

I take the same dose as you for Chiari and Syringomielia. However I occasionally take 2 x 300 mg tablets at once and sometime take a 5th 300mg at the end ofthe day. I am aware that 1200 mg per is not the max, but you should take advise.

Regards John Hales

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.