GAD and jobs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been showing the symptoms of GAD for over a year and only now I 've had the courage to admit it and see the GP... 

My question is how do you manage GAD when working full-time or part-time? Or ...maybe there is another option...?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello. 

I have a history of anxiety and I have worked full time for a number of years. I am suffering with it and depression at the moment and im not able to concentrate on my work. My work is not the cause of the problems at the moment.

I always found exercise to be brilliant for anxiety. Walk to work, walk home from work, try to make sure you have a job that will keep you busy, not a job where you will be sitting thinking all the time.

• Posted

Is it possible for you to work from home?  There are a number of symptoms associated with GAD, but a lot of suffers have a free floating sensation which can be a bit upsetting. Did you discuss with the doctor the effects it was having on your work? Have you been prescribed any medication? At least you have had the courage to visit your GP. If in doubt ask for more help.
  • Posted

Thanks for your prompt responses - it puts the whole thing into some kind of perspective... I have always had a full-time job that required quite a lot of thinking ... I suppose to work part-time now since September 2014, but unfortunately it didn't work out that way so I'm off sick at the moment and I'm starting an anxiety course CBT on Monday...Don't know how much that will help but I'm not having to many hopes...to be honest...after all the research I've done on Google...
  • Posted

Please don't pay too much attention to Doctor Google! If you suffer from any sort of anxiety or depression (I'm Bipolar) one of the best things you can do to help yourself better is to go for walks as Sharethelove has stated. My doctor suggested I start with a mile a day and then see how much I could increase too. You don't have to walk fast just at a steady pace. We moved in January to West Sussex, not knowing anyone and I was terrified about fitting in. The walk to the shops takes 15 mins and I am now on first name terms with the newsagent, the butcher, the fruit and veg man and everyone is quite friendly. YOU have to be responsible for getting better. If you find things are still difficult for you talk to the Samaritans they are a great organissation and always have time for you.
  • Posted

It's also extremely difficult to exercise when you have a 3 year old that doesn't sleep through the night...despite the fact that I used to go to the gym 3 times a week before I 've had my daughter... And my work is within 15 min driving distance...

I think there is too much of a vicious circle that I'm in and I'm finding it extremely difficult to come out of it...

I'm even thinking of changing my career but as you probably know it's not that easy after a certain age...

I haven't started any medication yet...

• Posted

I really envy you gwen1953, you seem very strong minded...I used to be like this but I'm so tired after a whole year of struggle...and it doesn't seem to improve...

I haven't a few other organizations involved , 're my job and I know it will take some time to have it sorted ( like any other probl). But I'll try to get to the gym at least ones a week when my daughter goes to preschool and I slept the night before...

I also think I'm displaying a few other triads from social anxiety and depression...so I don't know where to begin....to be honest...

but thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.