GAD and Panic Attack

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am suffering from GAD and Panic Attacks for a long time. I can't even live a normal life. I can't go to places alone because I am scared of my panic attack. I feel bad for myself because I always think that I am weak and coward unlike the other normal people. My family and boyfriend have no idea what I am going through. I don't want to tell them coz they might think I'm crazy or they will laugh at me. sad

2 likes, 54 replies

Report / Delete

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, sweetie:  I just want you to know that what you have is real, and not made up in your head...In other words, you are NOT crazy...You probably have a chemical imbalance in your brain, known as clinical depression...along with that comes your panic disorder....I urge you to tell your parents and boyfriend, even if they can't understand...get a good medical checkup and get some help, either therapy or medication...Don't be ashamed if you have to take medication....Trust me, things will get better....HUGS.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I can total relate to that as i am the same , and have been all my life. It is only now at 38 that i am really trying get something done about it and wish i had years ago. Go see your GP, there is help out there for you
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Your not crazy.... Lets make that clear right now. You can get something called Cognitive Behaviour Therapy or even some medication short term. You need to let your GP know so that it can be managed sooner rather than later.

Things will get better though, were all different and thats what makes helping each other thru talk a great let out

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You sound like I used to feel.For the last week Ive felt so much better,Last Sunday I was so anxious dizzy and scared so my husband took me to the local health store and I bought NON FLUSH NIACIN and hey presto within an hour I felt better Ihave struggled with panic and anxiety for 14 years-tried everything but this last week has been a miracle

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Definately you are not going crazy.Without doubt you must talk to those around you so they understand your suffering,i bottled mine up for a long time and trust me doing so will not help.Facing up to the problems is the first huge step to take,start by going out with family/friends then slowly go out by yourself.Medication may help a little but in my experience it does not cure anything,this may not be what you want to hear but switching between different types of tablets because nothing is having much of an effect will frustrate you and could make you worse in the long run.Stop worrying about what other people may think of you
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

just a note on the non flush niacin,i've taken a vitamin B-100 complex vitamin for the last year,it contains 100mg of niacin and doesnt not make one jot of difference to my anxiety,maybe the actual niacin levels arnt high enough therefore i will try a B3 supplement on top,but i'm not holding out any hope.I honestly think if vitamins had been the answer then the nhs would have been on to them years ago.Hope i'm wrong ;-)
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi lesley,i had my first panic/anxiety attack 21 years ago,i was a coal miner who played football,ate a well balenced diet and had never ever suffered with nerves and then BANG in an instant my life was changed.I was on holiday with my mates when it happened,out enjoying myself doing what i'd always done.i've since,out of desperation more than anything,tried supplements,hypnotherapy,accupuncture,yoga,tai chi,in fact you name it i've tried it,all to no avail.My gp(locum) said to me.'maybe its just you dean',you know what,maybe she was right.I've now more or less given up hope of the magical cure,i've resigned myself to just putting up with it,ie,keep myself occupied,whether it be work,hobbies or holidays just get on with it.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You have a lot of faith in the nhs!  Big drug companies rule the nhs Theres no money to be made from vitamins herbs and natural supplements  You need a much bigger dose of non flush niacin start with 500 mg 4 times a day.It might not work at all .Ive only been on it a week and the good effects might wear off as is often the case with things ive tried in the past. Fingers crossed the niacin works
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, its a nightmare eh?21 years is a long time to be suffering this living hell I so feel for you, ive only been suffering about 1 year but like you it came from nowhere 1 day fine next day my life changed and I dont think im ever going to be my old self again anytime soon but I am sure one day I might be, please dont give up on yourself, one day you will hopefully be back to your old self, take care smile xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i'm not exactly sure what you mean by i have a lot of faith in the nhs,please explain,i'm unsure whether you actually think i do have faith or you are being a little sarcastic

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

my doctor at the time told me it would pass within 6 months,however i knew different,the symptoms were so strong i knew it wasnt something that had happened and was going to dissapear quickly.I went from being the soul of the party to not even wanting to go out,i used to throw up before the taxi came,couldnt eat,my heart was racing,it was shocking,all this after being trouble and worry free previously.My symtoms arnt as bad now as they were then but i'm not the same,nowhere near.Doctor think that a succesion of events are the reason i'm still like it(cancer,motorbike accident,redundancy,divorce),i'm not sure tho',there was really no reason for it to happen in the first place and it was years before any of these events.

Added to the list of things i've tried as a cure was reikki,another 3 or 4 hundred quid down the drain...when undergoing hynotherapy and reikki i'm of the opinion that if it doesnt work for you then you shouldnt have to pay,both practices proclaim fantastic results.but neither have made a blind bit of difference..both practitioners are pinching a living in my opinion ;-)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm exact same as you Dean,  was a blokes bloke and been struck down with this for last 20 odd years from nowhere,  and like you tried nearly everything. I thought the hypnotherapy was biggest waste of. Money out them all
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i played lead guitar in a band(still do),played football and cricket,was the captain of the snooker team,played darts,raced motorbikes and at the pit was a member of the resue team and took part in first aid competitions,,,nothing phazed me,then wallop,the anxiety attack happened.the worst part for me is the pounding chest and feeling sick,i can cope with everything else,but this side of things gets on my t it's lol
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

it still happens bad when i perform live...you'd have thought after 30 years in the business it would have subsided,but nope,its as bad as ever in that regard.

but i'm not going to let it stop me doing what i enjoy.;-)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

a propper attack is usually when playing live or when i've got anything confrontational happening,ie shoplifters(i own a convenience store),so anywhere where the old adrenalin kicks in usually results in a anxiety attack.Also when i wake every morning my heart, within a split second races to in excess of 120bpm and i can feel sick,this has been the case since my first attack 21 years ago...i really am unsure that a vitamin B3 supplement will cure this,but like i've said i will have a go
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

overall tho i never really get any let up from the pounding heart and the tingling in my arms,i'm unable to fully relax and cant fall asleep without medication,some days are worse than others and even on holidays where i did get some relief it is no longer the case.A physciatrist i saw in september told me i had gad,but because i dont have any depression,other than being pi55ed off with it theres no need for me to see him again.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Aw you've had a really crap time babe, hope things improve for you, take care and look after yoursrlf smile xxps wot kind of music do you and your band play? Xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i am in a soul band now,playing soul and motown and a bit of northern soul.we play most weekends around South yorkshire and are called Soul Attitude.............. most of the bands i've been in,in the past, were classic rock bands.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

been on pregabalin since september and its not having an effect,tried amytriptaline,venlafaxine,cirtalapram and even diazapam in the past,although they dont give you enough diazapam to take long enough to make a difference,none have helped,,,,any suggestions??
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Wow great stuff, soul and motown great, although I have to say I do love classic rock, do you have a web site? Sorry this is way of the discussion that we were on I do apologise but I do tend to get a bit carried away when music comes into a conversation xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

HI Dean Sorry if you thought i was sarcastic Just can't hold back on my disgust at the lack of support from my doctors. I'm sure yours are much more informed about this illness.I've only been 3 times in 14 years and they gave me pills which nearly finished me off .THe last time I went asked if there was anything else he could suggest (had CBT) and he said if I didnt have more pills there was nothing he could do for me.I have been a teacher all my life and lectured to teachers in large lecture theatres.I don't give in easily to this disorder.I'm a yorkshire lass so made of the same stuff as you .You sound very courageous to carry on with such an active life.Good luck 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

right,i understand where you are coming from now...for what its worth i too think that docotors are useless,nothing they have done has helped me one iota,and they offer very little support.maybe its because they havnt got a clue???...you couldnt never say this to them because they would think you are just having a go,but if i'm honest both you and me are singing from the same hymm sheet,i'm disgusted that i'm no further forward now than i was 21 years ago,i'm disgusted that in my opinion doctors think i'm just making it all up and dont take me seriously,,maybe its because i dont go overboard when i speak to them,maybe its because i've already done some research and i already know some of the answers they are giving me.

i'm sick of being passed around locum doctors,some of whom struggle to speak english and cant understand me,but then again i'm from yorkshire too so maybe its my barnsley accent lol.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That made me laugh!I stick on my posh teacher voice and they still look at me as if Im an alien. My Grandad came from Cudworth.I live in Holmfirth and my husband had a fish and chip shop in Barnsley for a few years .We're probably related lol.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i take 45mg of mirtazapine on a night,i'm on these for insomnia.i was on zopiclone for years after a motorbike accident.new locum doctors dont like giving zopiclone,even tho i never asked for it in the first place,they said i'd been on it for too long and suggested mirtazapine instead,it works but it had to be 45 mg as anything less has no effect....i've been taking it for 3 months now,its working for insomnia but isnt having any effect regarding the gad/anxiety attacks.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thats the one We didn't have it long To be honest it never did the business plus they were building the college and kept closing the road for weeks on end.It was all a bit of a nightmare!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

just spent the last hour looking at a device called alpha stim Read some testimonials and I'm thinking of getting one.The B3 works but I have to take 

them every 3 hours ....if I forget I get a panic or feel anxiety .Have you ever tried it?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

alpha stim has some really good reviews on line,i've got one,not made any difference to me,as yet,but maybe i'm not using it enough.so dont buy one just yet,i'll use mine more often and give a update.

i've never tried b3,but will give it a go.

this anxiety thing is wierd...i dont panic about anything,i just get the symptoms,shacky,trembling,feel sick,pounding heart...but in my head,no panic,i'm at a loss,maybe this is why nowt works on me lol

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Wow you've really tried practically everything.Thanks for the advice I will

wait a bit.

Your description of your symptons is interesting...when you say its not in your head.Mine is straight to my head ...I have instant dizzyness poor balance have to sit or grab hold of the wall ...this scares me and I feel worse Are you ever bothered with dizzyness?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

no dizziness really although i have gone lightheaded when it really has been bad,its the physical symptoms i get,butterflies in my belly,feeling sick,pounding heartbeat,trembling in my arms...i get butterflies even thinking about now,its been so long
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I take 500mg 4times a day but its not enough so I add some powder form of the same B3 also known as inistol hexacoinate....so really I'm taking a hell of a lot.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The dizziness stops me doing things .I have become agorophobic of late 

I spend hours everyday searching for something...anything... that helps.B3 has been the first thing out of a list of therapies that has helped.Someone suggested past life regression therapy If it will cure me I'll do it.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Got the non flush niacin from health foods shop in Holmfirth...its the Solgar brand and the powdered inositol from Amazon -Jarrow formula.

I am also going to try Picamilon from Amazon

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

past life regression eh???,why not??

i see a medium once a year,he's fantastic,none of this you will win the lottery rubbish or you live in a house crap trying to get things out of you,no,he connects with the people who have passed on......sounds a bit far fetched,i thought the same..until he started...wow...uncles,grandparents,freinds,even my dogs...he told me he had one of my dogs who was a father figure to 3 others that were all with him,absolutely spot on and all 4 dogs were mine,he told how my dog had jumped in a settling tank in a sewage works going after a pheasant,how i had to hose him down even before i could bath him,now nobody can make that up and stand even a chance of being correct.Its a fantastic experience if you get a good one,only do it to those who are recommended.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi  That sounds amazing I'm totally of the same mind as you I've spent the last 3 years reading everything about this reality - from quantum mechanics and philosophy to tarot readings and astrology Feel I have learned so much.I'd love to go to your medium Please let me know who and where Thanks so much
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I cant tell you in words how good he is,you will have to go to his home as he no longer does visits,it will be the best 25quid you ever spend and you will get a full hour.........he even knew i was having reikki,my grandmother came thru and told him!!!...my great grandfather who went to war and never came back came thru and told us he had seen us in france visiting a war cemertary,all true even down to where and when we went.We lost my uncle between xmas and new year last year and he came to our house 3 days after his death,my uncle came through but was struggling so my nan and grandad were there helping,he knew he's died,knew we hadnt had the funeral and knew i'd been asking him to come thru as i knew he was coming. He knows absolutely nothing about me,nothing he has ever told me was anything he could have said by chance,he really is that good 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the specific details and the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to exchange the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Dean 

Looks like we broke the rules. I think we should have clicked the little envelope!!!I'm a first time forum user so would you please give me the details in a private message.Thanks so much

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up