Gall bladder pain after gall bladder removal

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I realise there were already posts about this but I thought I'd start another because all the replies there were 'over a year ago'

I have a problem reported by many here, I have a dull 'ache' (for want of a better word) where my GallBladder used to be. 

My problems started with this dull ache under my ribs on the right hand side. I was sent for ultrasound and found to have stones. 

I suffered for a while with the 'ache' and if i'm honest it started to really get on my nerves. It doesnt so much hurt as annoy like crazy, especially when it seems to be flaring up. (when it can be considered at it's worst)

I had my Gall Bladder removed and the pain went away INSTANTLY, I was in the recovery room with a bloated stomache and cramps like you wouldnt believe but I could feel the irritating 'ache' was gone... Hallelujah! 

But then about a month later it started to come back... 

That was 5 years ago, and I have tried everything imaginable to make this go away. NOTHING has helped. 

I am currently ramping up a dose of 'PreGabalin' to see if it's neuropathic pain of some kind, although as I sit typing to you we are 3 weeks into that treatment and its still there as plain as it ever was. 

I started another thread here because I am reaching out to everyone else who has this amazing annoyance in their side 24/7. 

My reasoning is SOMETHING is causing it.. and therefore it MUST have a cure. 

I will keep this thread updated. 

Oh incidentaly : I have tried. 

Chiropracty

Accupuncture

Thai Chi

Change in diet

Working out

Back support straps (these seem to make the 'ache' ease a little by pulling in on it)

Gabapentin, Omeprazole, and another drug I forget the name of.

Currently on PreGabalin and having it drive me insane.. STILL.

Thanks for listening all.

One more thing (how Collumbo of me! biggrin the condition is called:

Postcholecystectomy syndrome

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had the back brace for a week or so and it is comfortable, I think it helps a little too; it was only about £10 so not a big investment.

I wonder if losing weight might help because if the back brace is helping to support things,  maybe I need less of me to support! 

Well done  Kutter-UK for starting this thread as there seems to be some of us with unexplained pain and aches that aren't threatening just irritating and sometimes depressing.

• Posted

Hi there,

I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago in February after my doctor mis diagnosed me for just being overweight. I would be on the floor for hours trying to put pressure onto my side and just go to sleep to ignore the pain. After I finally got reffered to for the ultra sound the guy who was doing it asked me how I could still live a normal life as my gallbladder was filled to the brim with stones. I got my gallbladder removed privately as the NHS were atleast 6- 8months waiting and on the day on surgery it burst. 

I was so relived when I didn't have the dull pain and was out of the hospital in a day. However because I went private, the doctor I had and nurses were very informative with me. Basically they told me I wouldn't be able to eat 'whatever I wanted' because I didn't have the organ that could process it so the other organs would have to work double as hard. I was put on a low- fat diet and had to re-introduce food. If I had any pain or the rush to the toilet then I was to just cancel it out.

I have only ever had the excrutating back pain whenever my body has not agreed with the things I've put into it.

Do you still drink fizzy juice/water? Also alchohol?

These are the main culprits for me being in unbelievable pain. I never went back to drinking fizzy juice but even tonic water that some sneaky bartenders put into cocktails set me off. It could be the food and what you're drinking daily that is causing the pain. Even things like tomatoes and brocolli I can no longer have and also apples.

There is not enough research and funding going into the post gallbladder part in life and it annoys me that the support isn't there. 

• Posted

Thanks for the info. I think that food types upset our systems but also  simply having excess weight pulling on internal surgery might cause  nerve pain too. If I am active it seems to be not too bad. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.