Gall Bladder removal.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Thinking having my gall bladder removed via keyhole surgery in 1993 would be the end of my digestion probs. Wrong, for me it was only the beginning! Months after my 'op' I suffered several episodes of pancreatitis which put me in hospital because I turned yellow. Then, I was told by the surgeon that I shouldn't have had my gall bladder out because there was nothing wrong with it. My gall stone was trapped in my bile duct which I most likely had since I was a little girl. So, then it was arranged for me to have an ERCP to push the stone into my system which was a success. However, because I've no gall bladder my digestive system has never been the same. (Sigh)

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You are one of the few who admit to having after operation problems without their gall bladder. Credit is very much due to you. There are a noticeable amount of people on this forum who positively seem to look forward to having their gall bladder out and give others the message get it out SAP. This is patent rubbish in many cases because cholesterol gall stones can and are dissolved by medication not surgery.

Of course there must be some who surgery is the only option but there must be thousands of gall bladders removed that did not need removal. There are many instances without sounding pompous that an individual does not have the initiative to research gall stones and the ways of rectifying their plight. It is of course their prerogative or bad luck or whatever.

• Posted

NHS website states dissolving is not an effective treatment as they are most certainly going to return.

The person you are applauding for saying they had the problems had the op 26 years ago! Medicine knows a lot more these days.

Anaesthetic is risky, so doctors would not advise this if there was a less invasive option.

I had mine out in December.

Best decision ever!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.