Gall Bladder Removal at Age of 19

Posted , 8 users are following.

Greetings! I've been recently adviced by my doctors to remove my gall bladder. I was having excruciating abdominal pains, vomitting and loose motion for about two whole weeks. I wasn't able to keep anything I eat down for 13 days. At first, I had thought I developed severe gastritis. But after doing an ultrasound, it was found that I had gallstones in my gall bladder and the biggest one at 7mm was at the neck of the gall bladder. After a few days, the stone dislodged and fell back into my gall bladder allowing my symptoms to subside for now. I can eat without throwing up. 

Anyway, I'm feeling conflicted. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of surgery. I'd like to hear from patients who have undergone the procedure. How was your life after the surgery? How did it affect your diet? Some people say after a few months they can go back to eating normally whereas some say they tend to experience indigestion. 

I'd really appreciate you all sharing with me your experience before I come up with my final decision. Thank you and have a good day! -Ash

1 like, 28 replies

Report / Delete

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ash,

I went through passing stones, ended up in emerg on morphine several times. After I had the surgery it was great, I still had to watch rich foods as they went right through me but it was great! After about a year the pain started again, they never found the cause other then somewhat confused nerves sending pain signals.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I see. What about a few months after the surgery? How is your diet like? Are you still in a situation where you have to watch rich foods? Thank you for taking the time to share with me. smile 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I had a bad episode in Nov 15, up to this time I didn't realise I had gallstones, but after being admitted and scans done found stones stuck in my bile tube, and lots of gallstones! I was in hospital around 10 days, had scans and ERCP to remove stuck stones, then send home to wait for an operation to remove my gallbladder. I had episodes before but my local GP out this down to acid reflux! I did pay private to have my operation as was told could be waiting months on the NHS and luckily my husband has family private healthcare with his job. Before the operation I was very lucky, didn't have bad symptoms like other people but felt not right, was on VERY low fat diet up to the operation. Had my op on the 29th Jan 16 and feel great, my consultant said I might get some effects such as tummy problems, not being able to eat certain things, and lots of wind!! But since I have had it I can eat anything, nothing upsets me, I do sometimes get a few twinges where the gallbladder used to be, but nothing painkillers ease! I am 100% better than I was, back to my normal self! I had it done by keyhole and was back to work after 2 weeks. But........I must say reading some comments on here I feel I have been very lucky as some people have lots of symptoms after. I am on anti acid tablets, so don't get much indigestion but get a bit more heartburn if anything, but can cope with that!! Hope this helps, ask anymore questions if you need to, happy to answer!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I see. This is why I feel very conflicted. Some people say they can eat anything as per normal whereas others say they experience indigestion and such. I'm barely 20 and don't want to have to stay clear from experiencing a normal life like other 20-year-olds with the occasional pig-out sessions once in a while. I'm usually not someone who eats too much of fast food and such, but just once in a while. I hope if I do go through the surgery, I'd be able to go on with life normally as you have without the problems of indigestion. They're planning to do the keyhole surgery with me too. Thank you for sharing with me, Sharon! I truly appreciate it and I'll be sure to ask you more questions if any. smile
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had mine removed 2 weeks ago and I tell you I know how youve been feeling. I had no idea what my problem was. finally after 4 days I went to my doctor and she thought I had galllstones.  she set up a CT scan for 4 days from then and I thought that would be OK.  well, about 2 days later the horrible achey stabbing pain under my right ribacage and also what felt like a knife stuck in ONE location in my back right side middle.  I called family to take me o ER and they gave me IV pain meds. which helped for about 20 minutes then the terrible pain would come back. anyways, I had mine removed the next day and I had AWFUL post op pain !   almost 2 weeks now and the post op pain is finally getting less.  I tell ya,  Im glad mine is OUT !  I don't ever want to be in such pain agan.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

How did they remove your gallbladder, Mark? Was it through keyhole surgery or through open surgery? And now after two weeks, how is your diet like? Are you able to eat normally or do you experience any indigestion after eating something oily? Thank you for responding to me. I appreciate it! 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Im having no problems with my diet,  but agan last night the achey pain came when I went to bed which kept me from sleeping. Im better off sleeping sitting upright in my recliner. I dont know why laying down causes the hurt to come agan.  during the day I can tell if im doing to much.  there is a strange feeling on my right side about where the gallbladder was and it aches on my lower right side back.  putting ice on those spots seems to help or because its so cold it takes my mind off the hurt  smile.......  its 2 weeks today that I had the keyhole surgery.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had mine out 3 weeks ago ash and in some respects I'm glad I did as each flare up the pain intensified with me having to have morphine injections which I hated the sensation off the last episode resulted in me being hospitalised for a couple of days as my blood pressure and heart rate were up, but now that my gallbladder has been removed I am still in a bit of a Indesit about it, I'm still having good days and bad days I went to see my gp yesterday who informed me it can take from 3 weeks untill 3 months to feel yourself again, which I wasn't expecting but still glad I had it done as pain was unbearable
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ash, I had my first gallstone attack early last year due to several small gallstones, one of which I think I may have passed.  I was then symptom-free for many months until occasional pain but no sickness began in late autumn.  As the pain wasn’t that bad and resembled IBS I hung on until my doctor blamed the gallbladder and rather reluctantly I went on the waiting list for removal (I’d heard a lot of bad experiences post-surgery).  However, the attacks suddenly kicked off again in April requiring urgent surgery as the gallbladder was about to rupture.  So despite the lack of classic symptoms to warn me, the stones had obviously been doing a lot of damage to the gallbladder all that time.

As that was about 3 weeks ago, it’s too early for me to answer your question about life after surgery.  So far I’ve had only an occasional ache, from doing too much I think as it goes off when I rest.  My bowels are a bit loose and rather overactive at present with lots of wind but I’ve had IBS on and off for many years so in my case, it could just be the operation has set it off again.  Or I need to watch my diet more carefully.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Which method did they use for your gallbladder removal, Helen? Was it through keyhole surgery or open surgery? What has your diet been like after the surgery? Thank you for sharing with me, Helen! I appreciate it. smile 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Ash, I had keyhole surgery so have the same incisions as Maria.  It  takes less time to heal, although I’m still being careful not to lift anything heavy or do anything very strenuous.  Did some more weeding today but felt it pulling under rt rib after an hour so gave up and sat down for a time and it went off.  

Re diet, I’ve been staying mainly with low fat fish and chicken, low or 0% fat yogurt, cheese and milk.  No rich or greasy foods, although a couple of meals out were more fatty than expected and my tummy felt uneasy for an hour or so afterwards.  I’ve also been keeping to small portions as advised and feel better for it.  No major problems with food so far though and 3 friends who had the op several years ago say they can eat anything, although other people develop food intolerances. 

Hope that helps but unfortunately one never knows how it will affect them until after the op.  However, I’d reached the stage where I just wanted the GB gone, no matter what the after effects were and so far feel so much better.  

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up