Gall Bladder removal - immediate nightmare still in hospital....please help!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

My daughter who is a healthy 24 year old went into hospital on 29.7.15 to have her gall bladder removed lapiscopically when she came round from the anesthetic she was faint and blood pressure was very high.  After two days of not getting any better was moved to high dependency Unit where she still is.  Since then she has been unable to sit up.  Her blood pressure is at 150 and that is with the highest dose of beta blokers, she is now bleeding (down below) and is have muscle spasms which continue.  She is also having periods of complete unresponsiveness, for over 15 mins which she says feels like she is being dragged under water.  Her urine output is high and potassium levels low.  She has had blood test which apparently are going all over the country for investigation and urine samples have also been taken. An MRI was done today and that came back as all clear.  I am completely devastated that there seems to be no answer! Can anyone tell me if they have experienced any of these symptoms or may have some answers for me.  I have 90 year old parents who live with us and they are beyond words upset.  PLEASE HELP ME!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi emmjane am so sorry to hear this. If the mri is clear that means no rogue stones or post op surgical problems. Has she ever had an anesthetic before? Could it be an allergic reaction? Is she passing blood in her stools? Has she a temperature? It sounds like an allergic reaction or some sort of infection. Also is she on birth control pill? The only reason I ask this is my 23 year old daughter developed serious side effects from it including muscle spasms and very high blood pressure. She was also put on beta blockers which made her feel worse! Have they checked for kidney infection. I'm so sorry your daughter is suffering. I hope the blood tests show up something and they can treat her properly soon. Take care xx
  • Posted

Hi Emmjane,

So sorry that your daughter is suffering after what should be a routine operation. It certainly sounds like she's had an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic or a possible infection. I have a friend who went through a similar thing when she was in for a routine op and she was transferred to high dependancy after an allergic reaction. A very frightening time and sincerely hope she makes a very speedy recovery.

Tasha xx

• Posted

So grateful for your good wishes.  She had a general anesthetic last year and had no complication post surgery.  he is bleeding quite profusely and it is not her period!  She is not on the pill. The spasms seem to be worse when she is quiet as apposed to when her brain is active as in talking to people.  Surely this must be a case of hormones gone wild? the brain seems to be sending Adrenalin signals, hence the high blood pressure and jerking.  This would not account for the fainting though, but that is caused when the blood pressure soars to around 200 and that only has happened at night when shes either asleep or just resting...... There must be someone who has experienced these issues before?..............God Help Her..............am losing my mind here!!
    • Posted

Oh god emmjane that sounds horrendous for you both. Have they tested her hormone levels and adrenal function? Could her adrenal glands be in distress from the operation. It's very rare but have heard it happen. They do say hormone imbalance can cause gallbladder problems but it's usually high estrogen levels. I hope they get to the root of this very soon and your daughter can begin to recover. Take care xx
  • Posted

Emmjane, I don't have any answers for you, but just know I'll be praying for you and your daughter. I have a 21 year old college daughter and I cannot even imagine the pain and stress you are going through. I pray the doctors will fine the answers so they can help her get back to good health. Your story just made me cry and feel so bad for you and your sweet daughter. God bless and be with you. 
    • Posted

Many thanks.  You made me cry too. What pair we make! x
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your emergency happening as I write this, and my thoughts are with you.  If she's bleeding heavily from her rectum it is likely to be from the liver, which is prone to bleed and is of course very close to the gallbladder.  High pulse rate but low blood pressure are the usual signs of heavy bleeding and a little blood looks much more than it is to an inexperienced observer.

I once had a major bleed and the feeling is a bit like greying-out or slipping underwater.  If she's in a surgical hospital I'm sure she'll be okay.

If she is bleeding heavily they will be giving her saline and either blood or a blood substitute; these can and do mess up the electrolytes (sodium and potassium).  I'm sure they'll sort it out; worst case they'll operate and stop the bleed.

• Posted

Not rectum...............like a period bleed, but much heavier! Many thanks for your kind words. x
    • Posted

Sent you a private message including a url link -- can't send it publicly as the mods have to approve it.  Let me know you've got it OK.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear about this, I know it must be a nightmare and I'll say a prayer for you and your daughter. I would be sure they check for infection, an allergic reaction is possible even if she has not had one before - most people don't know this but you typically only have allergic reactions AFTER you've had something before (example: my mother use to eat shrimp all the time - her family lived on the coast and it was a regular thing; now she's highly allergic. She can't even touch them. She developed an allergy) ... But I would think if it were allergic reaction it would have gotten better. Please don't take this offensively. I don't know if your daughter is sexually active, but if so it's possible it could be an ectopic pregnancy. That's just a wild guess, but anythingb is worth looking into. Best of luck hun, so sorry! sad
    • Posted

Many thanks emily, no not sexualy active. Just need answers. Just called the ward, another night of spasms and unresponsive episodes...........................GOD!!! wHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY LOVELY GIRL!!
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear if the problems your daughter is experiencing, what have the consultants said? Are they communicating with you?

How is your daughter now? I hope she is improving.

• Posted

Thanks Michelle,  they are still waiting for blood and urine tests! Taking an age.  She is improving though, must be all the prayers everyone is saying :-)) unresponsive incidents are now almost gone, still feels slightly weird at night, but no unconscience episodes. BP still high and still on beta blockers. Hoping results will show some sort of hormone spike that this can all be attributed too.  Keep smiling I guess and praying. x
    • Posted

I'm so pleased to hear of some improvement albeit not as much as you'd like.  Let her know that there are loads of us here wishing her well.  And you and the family, of course.
  • Posted

Thanks for updating, I'm pleased there's been improvement, here's hoping everyday is better from now on and her Bp settles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.